Avalanches in Solids, Theory and Experiments
Avalanches are domino-like processes where one event triggers another.
Bulk metallic glasses (BMGs) are noncrystalline metals, typically produced by rapid quenching and comprising three or more elements. The need for rapid quenching limits the thickness of metallic glasses in one dimension.
The complementary cumulative distribution C(S) of avalanche sizes S gives the probability of finding an avalanche with size greater than S.
A low-pass filter is an electronic circuit that passes signals with frequencies lower than a specified cutoff frequency and attenuates signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency.
Mean-field theory is an approximation to a model for which the physical interactions are replaced by infinite-range interactions in order to solve the model analytically.
A piezoelectric load cell is a sensor that generates a potential when a force is applied; the output is calibrated so that the sensor can be used...
- Friedman N, Jennings AT, Tsekenis G, Kim J-Y, Tao ML, Uhl JT, Greer JR, Dahmen KA (2012) Statistics of dislocation slip avalanches in nanosized single crystals show tuned critical behavior predicted by a simple mean field model. Phys Rev Lett 109(9):095507/1–095507/5. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.109.095507CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hartley R (2005) PhD thesis, Physics, Duke UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (2014) A program on avalanches attempted to answer some of these questions. The talks and discussions of that workshop are posted here: http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu/activities/dbdetails?acro=nonequil14
- McFaul LW, Wright WJ, Gu XJ, Uhl JT, Dahmen KA (2018) to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- Salje EKH, Dahmen KA (2014) Crackling noise in disordered materials. Annu Rev Condens Matter Phys 5:233–254. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-conmatphys-031113-133838CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sethna JP, Bierbaum MK, Dahmen KA, Goodrich CP, Greer JR, Hayden LX, Kent-Dobias JP, Lee ED, Liarte DB, Ni X, Quinn KN, Raju A, Rocklin DZ, Shekhawat A, Zapperi S (2017) Deformation of crystals: connections with statistical physics. Annu Rev Mater Res 47:217–246. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-matsci-070115-032036CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsekenis G, Uhl JT, Goldenfeld N, Dahmen KA (2013) Determination of the universality class of crystal plasticity. Europhys Lett 101:360003/1–360003/6 and references therein. https://doi.org/10.1209/0295-5075/101/36003
- Uhl JT, Pathak S, Schorlemmer D, Liu X, Swindeman R, Brinkman BAW, LeBlanc M, Tsekenis G, Friedman N, Behringer R, Denisov D, Schall P, Gu XJ, Wright WJ, Hufnagel T, Jennings A, Greer JR, Liaw PK, Becker T, Dresen G, Dahmen KA (2015) Universal quake statistics: from compressed nanocrystals to earthquakes. Sci Rep 5:16493. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep16493CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wright WJ, Samale MW, Hufnagel TC, LeBlanc MM, Florando JN (2009) Studies of shear band velocity using spatially and temporally resolved measurements of strain during quasistatic compression of a bulk metallic glass. Acta Mater 57(16):4639–4648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2009.06.013CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wright WJ, Liu Y, Gu XJ, Van Ness KD, Robare SL, Liu X, Antonaglia J, LeBlanc M, Uhl JT, Hufnagel TC, Dahmen KA (2016) Experimental evidence for both progressive and simultaneous shear during quasistatic compression of a bulk metallic glass. J Appl Phys 119:084908. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4942004CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang D, Dahmen KA, Ostoja-Starzewski M (2017) Scaling of slip avalanches in sheared amorphous materials based on large-scale atomistic simulations. Phys Rev E 95(3):032902/1–032902/12 and references therein. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.95.032902