On Framing the Research Question and Choosing the Appropriate Research Design
Clinical epidemiology is the science of human disease investigation with a focus on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. The generation of a reasonable question requires the definition of patients, interventions, controls, and outcomes. The goal of research design is to minimize error, ensure adequate samples, measure input and output variables appropriately, consider external and internal validities, limit bias, and address clinical as well as statistical relevance. The hierarchy of evidence for clinical decision making places randomized controlled trials (RCT) or systematic review of good quality RCTs at the top of the evidence pyramid. Prognostic and etiologic questions are best addressed with longitudinal cohort studies.
Key wordsClinical epidemiology methodology research design evidence-based medicine randomized controlled trials longitudinal studies
- 5.5. Robbins, J. M., Vaccarino, V., Zhang, H., Kasl, S. V. (2000) Excess type 2 diabetes in African-American women and men aged 40–74 and socioeconomic status: Evidence from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Epidemiol Community Health 54, 839–845.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.7. Eknoyan, G., Hostetter, T., Bakris, G. L., et al. (2003) Proteinuria and other markers of chronic kidney disease: A position statement of the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) and the National Institute Of Diabetes And Digestive And Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). Am J Kidney Dis 42, 617–622.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.www.cebm.net/levels_of_evidence.asp, last accessed March 23, 2007.
- 13.13. Sackett, D. L., Haynes, R. B., Guyatt, G. H., Tugwell, P. (1991) The interpretation of diagnostic data, in (Sackett, D. L., Haynes, R. B., Guyatt, G. H., Tugwell, P., eds.) Clinical Epidemiology, a Basic Science for Clinical Medicine. Little, Brown and Company, Toronto, Canada, pp. 117–119.Google Scholar
- 16.www.strobe-statement.org, last accessed March 23, 2007.
- 17.www.consort-statement.org/stardstatement.htm, last accessed March 23, 2007.