Staging for Carcinoma of the Pancreas: Japanese Stage Classification Compared to UICC Stage Classification
The stage of cancer should accurately reflect the prognosis of patients suffering from the disease, as well as the resectability of tumors. There have been a number of proposals in the past for staging of pancreatic carcinoma (Biometry Branch, National Cancer Institute 1972 , Hermreck 1974 , Leadbetter et al. 1975 , Cancer of the Pancreas Task Force 1981 , Fortner 1981 , Gall and Zirngibl 1986 , Klapdor 1986 , Klöppel and Fitzgerald 1986 ). The most recent stage classifications (SC) are that of the Japan Pancreas Society published in 1982 and revised in 1986 , and that of the Union International Contre le Cancer (UICC) published in 1987 . In this paper, we will introduce the stage classification proposed by Japan Pancreas Society (JPN-SC), discuss the major differences between JPN-SC and UICC-SC, and report the therapeutic results of 229 pancreatic cancer patients analyzed according to the two staging systems.
KeywordsPancreatic Cancer Patient Stage Classification Portal Vein Invasion Stage Classi Japan Pancreas Society
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Biometry Branch, National Cancer Institute (1972) End results in cancer. Report No. 4, Publication No. 73-272. Axtel LM, Cutler SJ, Myers MH (eds) US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, End Results Section, pp 81 - 84Google Scholar
- 3.Leadbetter A, Foster RS Jr, Haines CR (1975) Carcinoma of the pancreas. Results from the Vermont tumor registry. Am J Surg 129: 356-360Google Scholar
- 8.Klöppel G, Fitzgerald PJ (1986) Pathology of non-endocrine pancreatic tumors. In: Go VLW, Gardner JD, Brooks FP, Lebenthal E, Dimagno EP, Scheele GA (eds) The exocrine pancreas. Raven, New York, pp 649 - 674Google Scholar
- 9.Japan Pancreas Society (1986) General rules for surgical and pathological studies on cancer of the pancreas (in Japanese). 3rd edn. Kanehara, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 10.UICC (1987) TNM classification of malignant tumors, 4th fully rev edn. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 11.UICC (1989) TNM atlas. Illustrated guide to the TNM/pTNM-classification of malignant tumours, 3rd edn. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.Tsundoa T, Ura K, Eto T, Matsumoto T, Tsuchiya R (1991) UICC and Japanese stage classifications for carcinoma of the pancreas. Int J Pancreatol 8: 205 - 214.Google Scholar
- 16.Klöppel G (1988) Pancreatic carcinoma: Structural features and biological behavior. Becker V, Hubner K (eds) The pancreas in connection with the epigastric unit. Gustav Fischer, Stuttgart, pp 122 - 136Google Scholar