A Methodology for Deep Sub-Quartermicron CMOS Technology Characterization
We present a novel methodology for characterization of sub-quartermicron CMOS technologies. It involves process calibration, device calibration employing two-dimensional device simulation and automated Technology Computer Aided Design (TCAD) optimization, and, finally, transient mixed-mode device/circuit simulation. The proposed methodology was tested on 0.25 εm technology and applied to 0.13 εm technology in order to estimate ring oscillator speed. The simulation results show an excellent agreement with available experimental data.
KeywordsGate Length Ring Oscillator Gate Delay Device Calibration PMOS Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avant! Corp., Fremont, CA, TSUPREM-4, Two-Dimensional Process Simulation Program, Version 6.6, June 1998.Google Scholar
- ISE Integrated Systems Engineering AG, Zürich, Switzerland, DIOS-ISE, ISE TCAD Release 6.0, July 1999.Google Scholar
- Avant! Corp., Fremont, CA, MEDICI, Two-Dimensional Device Simulation Program, Version 4.1, July 1998.Google Scholar
- ISE Integrated Systems Engineering AG, Zürich, Switzerland, DESSIS-ISE, ISE TCAD Release 6.0, July 1999.Google Scholar
- T. Binder, K. Dragosits, T. Grasser, R. Klima, M. Knaipp, H. Kosina, R. Mlekus, V. Palankovski, M. Rotfinger, G. Schrom, S. Selberherr, and M. Stockinger, MINIMOS-NT User’s Guide. Institut für Mikroelektronik, TU Wien, 1998.Google Scholar
- S. Beebe, F. Rotella, Z. Sahul, D. Yergeau, G. McKenna, L. So, Z. Yu, K. Wu, E. Kan, J. McVittie, and R. Dutton, “Next Generation Stanford TCAD¡ªPISCES 2ET and SUPREM 007,” in Intl.Electron Devices Meeting, San Francisco, pp. 213–216, 1994.Google Scholar
- T. Grasser, V. Palankovski, G. Schrom, and S. Selberherr, “Hydrodynamic Mixed-Mode Simulation”, in Simulation of Semiconductor Processes and Devices (K. De Meyer and S. Biesemans, eds.), (Leuven, Belgium), pp. 247–250, 1998.Google Scholar
- Ch. Pichler, R. Plasun, R. Strasser, and S. Selberherr, “High-Level TCAD Task Representation and Automation”, IEEE J. Technology Computer Aided Design, May 1997.http://www.ieee.org/journal/tcad/accepted/pichler-may97 Google Scholar
- Avant! Corp., Fremont, CA, HSPICE, Elements and Models User’s Manual.Google Scholar
- T. Grasser, R. Strasser, M. Knaipp, K. Tsuneno, H. Masuda, and S. Selberherr, “Device Simulator Calibration for Quartermicron CMOS Devices;’ in Simulation of Semiconductor Processes and Devices (K. De Meyer and S. Biesemans, eds.), (Leuven, Belgium), pp. 93–96, 1998.Google Scholar
- J.D. Bude, “MOSFET Modeling into the Ballistic Regime”, in Simulation of Semiconductor Processes and Devices, (Seattle, USA), pp. 23–26, Sept. 2000.Google Scholar