Application of a Framestore Datasystem in Imaging SIMS
The advances made in UHV SIMS instrumentation (scanned ion probe/quadrupole analyser) have increased analytical capabilities in several areas: depth profiling using high current reactive ion (O2, Cs) or inert-gas ion probes, with or without oxygen gas flooding, has achieved extremes in depth resolution or detection limits , particularly in semiconductor materials; sub-micron spatial resolution using scanned liquid metal field-ion source, LMFIS, probes of Ga, In, Au [2,3] and Cs , and the SIMS application of these ions has been demonstrated in elemental imaging, spectral analysis, line scans and depth profiles of a variety of samples including oxide-insulators of multi-layer or fibre structure [4,5] and polymer fibre  as well as semiconductor device structures [4,7]; imaging molecular or “STATIC” SIMS on polymer materials has been demonstrated  with coincident ion and electron beams (to maintain charge neutrality) while the introduction of neutral fast-atom beams, “FAB”, has made the spectral analysis of all types of insulators as easy as for conductors. The latest addition is the scanned FAB probe  which should make molecular imaging of insulators at 5–10 micron resolution a realistic possibility. In pace with these advances in primary probes the collection efficiency of the best quadrupoles has been improved to around the 1% level,so that the potential of SIMS for 3D micro-volume analysis either at the trace-element level or at the major molecular species level is now being realised in UHV.
KeywordsBoron Gallium Auger PTFE Caesium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).A.R. Waugh, A.R. Bayly, and K. Anderson: Proc. 29th Field Emission Symp. ( Almquist and Wiksell, Stockholm 1982 ) p 409Google Scholar
- 4).A.R. Waugh, A.R. Bayly, and K. Anderson: SIMS IV, Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on SIMS, Osaka, Japan, 1983 (Springer-Verlag, Berlin) p138Google Scholar
- 6).A.R. Bayly, A.R. Waugh and P. Vohralik: Spectrochim. Acta, 40B, 717 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7).A.R. Bayly, A.R. Waugh and K. Anderson: Scanning Electron Microscopy, 23, (1983)Google Scholar
- 9).A.J. Eccles, J.A. van den Berg, A. Brown and J.C. Vickerman to be publishedGoogle Scholar