International Business and Corporate Wrongdoing: A Review and Research Agenda
It is not uncommon for multinational companies (MNCs) to be accused of corporate wrongdoing in connection with their international operations. However, there is very little international business (IB) research on MNCs’ wrongdoing , possibly because most IB scholars are interested in why MNCs exist, how they grow and how they are managed, and in the gains from international expansion for the MNCs or for other constituents in the home and host countries. In this chapter, we reverse this perspective and propose a novel agenda for further research in IB on the negative impacts generated by MNCs and their subsidiaries on the natural environment and on different constituents’ human rights.
KeywordsCorporate wrongdoing Human rights International business (IB), Multinational enterprises (MNCs)
- BBC News. (2015). Volkswagen: The scandal explained. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34324772.
- Castellani, D., & Zanfei, A. (2007). Multinational firms and productivity spillovers: The role of firms heterogeneity. In G. Benito & H. Greve (Eds.), Progress in international business research. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Chatterji, A. K., & Toffel, M. W. (2010). How firms respond to being rated. Strategic Management Journal, 31, 917–945.Google Scholar
- Cyert, R. M., & March, J. G. (1963). A behavioral theory of the firm. Englewood Cliffs, NJ : Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Donaldson, T. (1996). Values in tension: Ethics away from home. Harvard Business Review, 74, 48–62.Google Scholar
- Donaldson, T., & Dunfee, T. W. (1994). Toward a unified conception of business ethics: Integrative social contracts theory. Academy of Management Journal, 19(2), 252–284.Google Scholar
- Fiaschi, D., Giuliani, E., & Salvati, N. (2016). The challenge of measuring corporate social irresponsability. Discussion Paper del Dipartimento di Economia e Management - Università di Pisa, no 206. Google Scholar
- Giuliani, E., Macchi, C., & Fiaschi, D. 2013. The social irresponsibility of international business: A novel conceptualization. In R. van Tulder, A. Verbeke, & R. Strange (Eds.), In International business and sustainable development (pp. 141–171). European International Business Academy (EIBA)/Emerald.Google Scholar
- Kostova, T., & Zaheer, S. (1999). Organizational legitimacy under conditions of complexity: The case of the multinational enterprise. Academy of Management Review, 24(1), 64–81.Google Scholar
- Life Magazine. (1996). Six cents an hour. http://www.laborrights.org/in-the-news/six-cents-hour.
- McWilliams, A., & Siegel, D. (2001). Corporate social responsibility: A theory of the firm perspective. Academy of Management Review, 26(1), 117–127.Google Scholar
- Ruggie, J. G. 2008. Promotion and protection of all human rights, civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights, including the right to development. Protect, Respect and Remedy: A Framework for Business and Human Rights. Human Rights Council. http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/itgg.2008.3.2.189.
- Scherer, A. G., & Palazzo, G. (2008). Globalization and corporate social responsibility. In A. Crane, A. McWilliams, D. Matten, J. Moon, & D. Siegel (Eds.), The oxford handbook of corporate social responsibility (pp. 413–431). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Sherman, L. W. (1987). Deviant organizations. In M. D. Ermann & R. D. Lundman (Eds.), Corporate and governmental deviance (3rd ed., pp. 52–62). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Szwajkowski, E. (1985). Organizational illegality: Theoretical integration and illustrative application. Academy of Management Review, 10(3), 558–567.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. (2010). BP oil spill report—As it happened. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2010/sep/08/bp-oil-spill-report-live.
- The New York Times. (1981). The controversy over infant formula. http://www.nytimes.com/1981/12/06/magazine/the-controversy-over-infant-formula.html?pagewanted=all.
- The New York Times. (1985). The Bhopal disaster: How it happened. http://www.nytimes.com/1985/01/28/world/the-bhopal-disaster-how-it-happened.html?pagewanted=all.
- The New York Times. (1995). Shell game in Nigeria. http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/03/opinion/shell-game-in-nigeria.html.