Numerical Simulation of the Turbulent Flow Around a Wing
- 1.4k Downloads
The turbulent flow around a wing in the atmospheric boundary layer is simulated. For initialising the turbulent wind field a synthetic turbulence generator is used. The turbulence generator generates a 3D turbulent field which matches important statistics from measurement data. In the results of the simulation an influence of the grid and turbulence mode on the resolved turbulent flow was observed. In general there is a decrease of resolved turbulent kinetic energy in the smaller scales when the turbulence leaves the Cartesian grid and enters the unstructured grid around the wing. In the analysis of the spectra of the aerodynamic forces it could be seen that only the largest scales of the turbulence have a significant effect on the aerodynamics of the wing. The results are preliminary, however, since the simulation is not yet finished and the analysis is not complete yet.
KeywordsTurbulent Kinetic Energy Atmospheric Boundary Layer Aerodynamic Force Unstructured Grid Atmospheric Turbulence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Doligalski: Vortex Interactions With Walls. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 26, 573–616 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Kelleners, P., Heinrich, R.: Simulation of Interaction of Aircraft with Gust and Resolved LES-Simulated Atmospheric Turbulence. In: Simulation of Wing and Nacelle Stall. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design. Springer (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Schwamborn D., Gerhold T., Heinrich R.: The DLR TAU-Code: Recent Applications in Research and Industry. ECCOMAS CFD 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Gerhold, T., Friedrich, O., Evans, J., Galle, M.: Calculation of Complex Three Dimensional Configurations Employing the DLR-TAU-Code. AIAA-paper 97–0167 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Spalart, P.R., Jou, W.H., Strelets, M., Allmaras, S.R.: Comments on the feas1ibility of LES for wings, and on a hybrid RANS/LES approach. In: Proceedings of First AFOSR International Conference on DNS/LES (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Bange, J., Spie, T., van den Kroonenberg, A.: Characteristics of the Early-Morning Shallow Convective Boundary Layer from Helipod Flights during STINHO-2. Theor. Appl. Climatol 90, 113–126 (2007)Google Scholar