Learning Diagnostic Diagrams in Transport-Based Data-Collection Systems
Insights about service improvement in a transit network can be gained by studying transit service reliability. In this paper, a general procedure for constructing a transit service reliability diagnostic (Tsrd) diagram based on a Bayesian network is proposed to automatically build a behavioural model from Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) and Automatic Passenger Counters (APC) data. Our purpose is to discover the variability of transit service attributes and their effects on traveller behaviour. A Tsrd diagram describes and helps to analyse factors affecting public transport by combining domain knowledge with statistical data.
KeywordsAI applications knowledge discovery Bayesian networks transit service reliability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dempster, A.P., Laird, N.M., Rubin, D.B.: Maximum likelihood from incomplete data via the em algorithm. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B (Methodological), 1–38 (1977)Google Scholar
- 2.Friedman, N.: Learning belief networks in the presence of missing values and hidden variables. In: Machine Learning International Worshop then Conference, pp. 125–133. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc. (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Friedman, N.: The bayesian structural em algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, pp. 129–138. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc. (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Furth, P.G.: Using archived AVL-APC data to improve transit performance and management. Transportation Research Board National Research, vol. 113 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Korb, K.B., Nicholson, A.E.: Bayesian artificial intelligence, vol. 1. CRC Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Tungkasthan, A., Jongsawat, N., Poompuang, P., Intarasema, S., Premchaiswadi, W.: Automatically building diagnostic bayesian networks from on-line data sources and the smile web-based interface. In: Jao, C.S. (ed.) Decision Support Systems, pp. 321–334 (2010)Google Scholar