Support for Research in Computer Applications in Nursing
In many respects, the coming of age of nursing research and of computer technology in health care occurred simultaneously over the past 25 years. While there was development in both fields before the middle 1960s, growth since that time has been considerably accelerated. The strengthening of nursing research and its beginning integration into the broader scientific community should be useful to nurses interested in seeking support for research in computer applications. This section addresses some of the recent changes in nursing research and their relationship to research in computer applications in nursing and health care.
KeywordsNursing Research Health Service Research Health Care Technology Undergraduate Nursing Successful Funding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brennan PF: Decision support for nursing practice: the challenge and the promise. In: Hannah KJ, Guillemin EJ, Conklin DN, eds. Nursing Uses of Computers and Information Science. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1985.Google Scholar
- Brennan PF: The effects of a computerized decision aid on the decision making of nurse managers. Doctoral dissertation. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 1986.Google Scholar
- Charniak E, McDermott D: Artificial Intelligence. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1986.Google Scholar
- Dinger JR, Stigder SI: Evaluation of a written simulation format for clinical nursing judgment. Nursing Research 1976; 25:280–285.Google Scholar
- Edwards J, Norton S, Taylor S, et al: How effective is CAI? A review of research. Educational Leadership 1975; 33:147–154.Google Scholar
- Merritt DM: The national center for nursing research. Image 1986; 18:84–85.Google Scholar
- National Center for Health Services Research and Health Care Technology: National Center for Health Services Research and Health Care Technology Assessment: functions and program. Rockville, MD: NCHSR, USDHEW, 1986.Google Scholar
- Werley HH, Devine EC, Weslag SK, et al: Testing and refinement of the nursing minimum data set. In: Salamon R, Blum B, Jorgensen M, eds. M ED INFO86—Proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Medical Informatics. Vol. 5. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1986; 816–817.Google Scholar