Cannulation of the Bile Duct Protects Against Para-Aminophenol-Induced Nephrotoxicity in the Fischer 344 Rat
Para-aminophenol (PAP) produces necrosis of proximal convoluted tubules acutely in the rat after a single injection (1), and has been demonstrated to be a minor metabolite of paracetamol in the Fischer 344 (F344) rat and Fischer-derived isolated perfused kidney (2). Examination of urine from PAP-treated rats by high resolution proton nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy revealed dose-related elevations in the urinary excretion of glucose, amino acids, and lactic acid (3, 4) while conventional methods showed enzymuria (4).
KeywordsToxicity Glutathione Adduct Luminal Thiol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J.K. Nicholson and K.P.R. Gartland, In: Cells, Membranes and Disease, including Renal, ed. E. Reid, G.M.W. Cook and J.P. Luzio, Methodological Surveys in Biochemistry and Analysis Vol. 17, pp 397–408, Plenum Press, New York (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.K.P.R. Gartland, J.K. Nicholson, J.A. Timbrell and F.W. Bonner, Detection and assessment of p-aminophenol-induced nephrotoxic lesions by proton NMR spectroscopy, Human Tox., 5 : 122–123 (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.L.J. Fischer, M.D. Green and A.W. Harman. Studies on the fate of the glutathione and cysteine conjugates of acetaminophen in mice, Drue Metab. Disp., 13:121–126 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.J.A. Hinson, T.T. Monks, M. Hong, R.J. Highet and L.R. Pohl, 3-(glutathion-S-yl) acetaminophen: a biliary metabolite of acetaminophen, Drug Metab. Disp., 10:47–50 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.K.P.R. Gartland, F.W. Bonner and J.K. Nicholson, The effect of buthionine sulphoximine on p-aminophenol-induced nephrotoxicity in the F344 rat, Human Tox. (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.K.P.R. Gartland, F.W. Bonner and J.K. Nicholson (unpublished observations) (1987).Google Scholar
- 16.P.D. Dass and T.C. Welbourne, Evidence for lumenal and anti-lumenal localization of gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase in rat kidney, Life Sci., 355–360 (1981).Google Scholar