Renal Tubular Function in Experimental and Clinical Cyclosporin (CsA) Nephrotoxicity
The use of cyclosporin A (CsA) in both organ transplantation and in the treatment of autoimmune disease may ultimately be limited by the drug’s nephrotoxic properties (Klintmalm et al, 1981). Indeed a major clinical problem has been the differentiation of rejection from CsA-induced nephrotoxicity, following renal transplantation. This nephrotoxicity is characterised by impaired renal function and histologically, predominantly by tubular changes (Blair et al, 1982; Thiru et al, 1983). Although the pathogenesis of CsA-induced nephrotoxicity is still unclear, alterations in glomerulotubular function have been demonstrated (Battle et al, 1986; Gnutzman et al, 1986; Dieperink et al, 1986a, b).
KeywordsToxicity Filtration Lithium Creatinine Cyclosporine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Battle, D. C., Gutterman, C. T Tarka, J. and Prasad, R., 1986, Effect of short-term cyclosporine A administration on urinary acidification, Clin. Nephrol., 25 (Suppl. 1): S69.Google Scholar
- Blair, J. T., Thomson, A. W., Whiting, P. H., Davidson, R. J. L., and Simpson, J. G., 1982, Toxicity of the immune suppressant cyclosporine A in the rat, J. Path., 135: 163.Google Scholar
- Dieperink, H., Kemp, E., Leyssac, P. P. and Starlint, H., 1986a, Cyclosporine A: effectiveness and toxicity in a rat model, Clin. Nephrol., 25 (Suppl. 1): S46.Google Scholar
- Dieperink, H., Leyssac, P. P., Kemp, E., Steinbruckl, D. and Starklint, H., 1986b: Glomerulotubular function in cyclosporine A treated rats, Clin. Nephrol., 25 (Suppl. 1): S70.Google Scholar
- Dieperink, H., Starklint, H. and Leyssac, P. P., 1983, Nephrotoxicity of cyclosporin — an animal model: study of the nephrotoxic effect of cyclosporine on overall renal and tubular function in conscious rats, Transplant. Proc., 15 (Suppl. 1): 2736.Google Scholar
- Gnutzman, K. H., Hering, K. and Gutsche, H. -U., 1986, Effect of short term cyclosporine on the diluting capacity of rat kidney, Clin. Nephrol., 25 (Suppl. 1): S51.Google Scholar
- Thiru, S., Maher, E. R., Hamilton, D. V., Evans, D. B. and Calne, R. Y., 1983, Tubular changes in renal transplant recipients on cyclosporine, Transplant. Proc., 15 (Suppl. 1): 2846.Google Scholar