Lactose Malabsorption and Milk Consumption in Infants and Children
There is controversy regarding malabsorption of lactose by the infant and child and the desirability of encouraging milk consumption in different age and ethnic groups. In the view of some investigators, research on lactose malabsorption is over-reported and over-interpreted.
KeywordsCeliac Disease Lactase Deficiency Milk Consumption Tropical Sprue Lactase Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Antonowicz I, Lebenthal E: Development pattern of samll intestinal enterokinase and disaccharidase activities in the human fetus. Gastroenterology 72: 1299–1303, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.Kretchemer N: The geography and biology of lactose digestion and malabsorption. Postgrad Med J 53: 65–72, 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.Simoons FJ, Johnson JD, Kretchmer N: Perspective on milkdrinking and malabsorption of lactose. Pediatrics 59: 98–109, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Ransome-Kuti O, Kretchmer N, Johnson J, Gribble JT: A genetic study of lactose digestion in Nigerian families. Gastroenterology 68: 431–436, 1977.Google Scholar
- 7.Sahi T, Launiala K: More evidence for the recessive inheritance of selective adult type lactose malabsorption. Gastroenterology 73: 231–232, 1977Google Scholar
- 8.Lebenthal E, Tsuboi K, Kretchemer N: Characterization of human intestinal lactase and hetero-β-galactosidases of infants and adults. Gastroenterology 67: 1107–1113, 1974.Google Scholar
- 10.Lebenthal E, Antonowicz I, Shwachman H: Correlation of lactase activity, lactose tolerance and milk consumption in different age groups. Amer J Clin Nutr 28: 595–600, 1975.Google Scholar
- 11.Reddi V, Pershad J: Lactase deficiency in Indians. Amer J Clin Nutr 25: 114–119, 1972.Google Scholar
- 12.Johnson JD, Simoons FJ, Hurwitz R, Grange A, Sinatra FR, Sunshine P, Robertson WV, Bennett PH, Kretchmer N: Lactose malabsorption among adult Indians of the Great Basin and American Southwest. Amer J Clin Nutr 31: 381–387, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.Lebenthal E: Small intestinal disaccharidase deficiencies. Pediat Clin N Amer 20: 757–766, 1975Google Scholar
- 14.Alpers D, Isselbacher K: Disaccharidase deficiency. Adv Metab Disord 4: 75–122, 1970.Google Scholar