Conversion of Urea Nitrogen into Protein Nitrogen by a Freshwater Fish, Sarotherodon Mossambicus
Urea is used as a source of non-protein nitrogen in the feed of ruminants1–3. It is included in some of the compound feeding formulae for dairy and beef cattle4. In view of the non palatability of urea, it is compounded with other palatable food components so that it is accepted by the cattle. The cattle have been acclimated to urea and it has been demonstrated by in vitro techniques that rumen fluid has high urease activity at all times5.
KeywordsFree Amino Acid Glutamate Dehydrogenase Arginase Activity Succinate Dehydrogenase Activity Protein Nitrogen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Singhal and V. D. Mudgal, Comparative study of urea and Biuret feeding on nutritive utilization and milk production in Goats, Indian J. Dairy Sci., 332 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.R. R. Freitag, W. H. Smith and W. M. Beeson, Factors related to the utilization of urea Vs protein nitrogen supplemented diets by theruminant, J. Anim. Sci., 27: 478 (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.E. E. Bartley and C. W. Deyoe, in:“Recent advances in Animal nutrition,” Butterworth, London (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.V. M. S. Srivastava, S. Lata, D. Srivastava and R. S. Tripati, Prospective ecological impact of urea and carpet chemicals in Gyanpur in relation to human values, Proc. 69th session of Indian Sci. Congress. Association, Mysore (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Moore and W. H. Stein, Amodified ninhydrin reagent for the photometric determination of amino acids and related compounds, J. Biochem., 211: 907 (1954).Google Scholar
- 9.H. O. Bergmeyer, in:“Methods of enzymatic analysis,” Academic press, New York (1965).Google Scholar
- S. Natelson, in:“Techniques of clinical chemistry,” Thomas C. C. Publi. Illionois (1971).Google Scholar
- 14.M. M. Nachlas, S. P. Margulins and A. M. Seligman, Sites of electron transfer to tetrazolium salts in the succinoxidase system, J. Biol. Chem., 235: 2739 (1969).Google Scholar
- 17.Robert R. Bidigare and Frederick D. King, GDH activity in P. Flexuosus, Comp. Biochem. and Physiol., 70B: 3 (1981).Google Scholar
- 18.S. K. Sarkar and S. K. Konar, Acute toxicity of agricultural fertilizers to aquatic organisms, Geobios., 8: 225 (1982).Google Scholar