Structure and Phase Transitions in Physisorbed Monolayers
- 227 Downloads
We present here an overview of the experimental phase behavior of simple atomic and molecular adsorbates on homogeneous substrates, emphasizing recent investigations using the (001) surface of graphite where in many cases there is close correspondence between the measurements and expected 2-D behavior. Because of space limitations only a partial view of the subject is presented; in particular, the beautiful thermodynamic studies of adsorbed He done by Dash, Bretz, Vilches and others are not covered. Illustrative examples have been chosen to a large extent from the authors’ own work, not because of any exaggerated sense of their relative importance and/or interest, but merely because the necessary figures were already in hand !
KeywordsBragg Peak Registered Filling Monolayer Film Superlattice Peak Magnetic Superlattice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Paneth and A. Radu, Chem. Ber. 57:1221 (1924).Google Scholar
- 11.J. G. Dash, “Films on Solid Surfaces,” Academic Press (1975).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Thorny and X. Duval, J. Chim. Phys. 67:1101 (1970).Google Scholar
- 14.T. T. Chung, unpublished. Quoted in ref. 18.Google Scholar
- 17.J. P. McTague, M. Nielsen, and L. Passell, CRC Crit. Rev. Solid State Mat. Sci. 8:135 (19).Google Scholar
- 18.M. Nielsen, W. D. Ellenson and J. P. McTague, in “Neutron Inelastic Scattering” 1977, (IAEA Vienna), Vol. II., p. 433 (1978).Google Scholar
- 22.D. Frenkel, F. E. Hanson and J. P. McTague, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- 30.J. P. McTague and A. D. Novaco, Phys. Rev. B, (1979).Google Scholar
- 34.M. Nielsen and J. P. McTague, Phys. Rev. B Google Scholar
- 35.J. Stoltenberg and O. Vilches, unpublished.Google Scholar