The Need for a Transdisciplinary Approach to Security of Cyber Physical Infrastructure
Cyber-physical systems are an emerging domain of warfare, terrorism, and crime, while simultaneously being the platform and engine for economic, civil, and democratic development in the 21st century. The protection and sustainable growth of cyberspace is necessary for advancement of civilization and the pursuit of the noble goals of humanity. However, it has become common in the last decade to learn of cyber exploitations that threaten the safety and security of daily life as we know it.
KeywordsFiltration Transportation Uranium Brittle Arena
This paper would not have been possible without the generous support of Dr. Greg White from the Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security and the Society for Design and Process Science including Dr. Murat Tanik, Dr. John Carbone, Dr. Abidin Yildirim, and Stan Gatchel. The work to extend process and design science into primary, secondary and post secondary education realms is important and I am grateful for your recognition and encouragement. Diffusion of design and process science into the fabric of society is important to the economic and civil sustainability of the world.
- 1.R. Y. Fahmida, “GM’s OnStar, Ford Sync, MP3, Bluetooth Possible Attack Vectors for Cars”, e-week.com, IT Security & Network Security News, March 16, 2011 last accessed on July 22, 2012 at http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/GMs-OnStar-Ford-Sync-MP3-Bluetooth-Possible-Attack-Vectors-for-Cars-420601/.
- 2.Al Arabiya with Agencies, “Iran denies role in cyberattacks against Gulf oil and gas companies”, Al Arabiya News, Sunday, October 14, 2012 last accessed October 16, 2012 at http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/10/14/243682.html.
- 3.S. Gorman, “Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies”, Wall Street Journal, Technology, April 4, 2009 last accessed on October 17, 2012 at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914805204099085.html.
- 4.Executive Order 13010—Critical Infrastructure Protection, Federal Register, July 17, 1996. Vol. 61, No. 138. in Critical Infrastructure and Key Assets: Definition and Identification, CRS Report for Congress, October 1, 2004 last accessed October 16, 2012 http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/RL32631.pdf.
- 5.Sharing Information with the Private Sector, The White House, George W. Bush, n.d. last accessed October 16, 2012 at http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/nsc/infosharing/sectionV.html.
- 6.T. Delbert in J. Brazell, “Internet 2.0: What’s Next In Computing—How Cyber-Physical Systems Are Changing Business Commerce, and the Economy”, Texas CEO Magazine, April 29, 2012 last accessed on July 22, 2012 at http://texasceomagazine.com/tag/jim-brazell/.
- 7.Mechatronics homepage, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), n.d. last accessed July 22, 2012 at http://multimechatronics.com/.
- 8.“Future Work Skills 2020”, Apollo Research Institute, April 14, 2011 last accessed July 22, 2012 at http://apolloresearchinstitute.com/research-studies/workforce-preparedness/future-work-skills-2020.
- 9.J. B. Brazell, L. Donoho, J. Dexheimer, R. Hanneman, G. Langdon, and E. Evans, “M2M: The Wireless Revolution. A Technology Forecast, Implications for Community Colleges in the State of Texas”, Texas State Technical College System and IC2 Institute, University of Texas Austin, 2005 last accessed October 17, 2012 at http://forecasting.tstc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/M2M_The_Wireless_Revolution-TSTC_Forecast-2005.pdf.
- 10.J. H. Vanston, H. Elliott, J. Irwin, J. Brazell, and M. Bettersworth, “Mechatronics Forecast: Implications for Texas Community and Technical Colleges”, Texas State Technical College System, 2007 last accessed October 17, 2012 at http://forecasting.tstc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Mechatronics-TSTC_Forecast-2007.pdf.
- 11.J. Brazell, email interview with Abidin Yildirim, Society for Design and Process Science, July 6, 2012.Google Scholar
- 12.E. Evans, M. Sekora, A. Cavalli, K. Chan, J. Heo K. Kan, Y. Kuang, P. Mohandas, X. Zhang, and J. Brazell, “Digital Convergence Initiative: Creating Sustainable Competitive Advantage in Texas”, Greater Austin-San Antonio Corridor Council, 2005 last accessed October 17, 2012 at http://www.dcitexas.org/DCI_report.pdf.
- 13.“Converging Technologies for Improving Human Performance—Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Information Technology, and Cognitive Science”, edited by M. C. Roco and W. S. Bainbridge, National Science Foundation (NSF) and Department of Commerce (DOC), 2002 last accessed on July 22, 2012 at http://www.wtec.org/ConvergingTechnologies/Report/NBIC_pre_publication.pdf.
- 14.Executive Office of the President President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, “Report to the President and Congress, Designing a Digital Future: Federally Funded Research and Development in Network and Information Technology”, December 2010, Last accessed on October 17, 2012 at http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/pcast-nitrd-report-2010.pdf.
- 15.Occupational employment projections to 2018, Monthly Labor Review, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, November 2009 in “Report to the President and Congress, Designing a Digital Future: Federally Funded Research and Development in Network and Information Technology”, December 2010 last accessed on October 17, 2012 at http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/pcast-nitrd-report-2010.pdf.
- 16.J. B. Brazell, email interview with G. White, Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security, University of Texas San Antonio, October 17, 2012.Google Scholar