Regulatory Polypeptides in the Lympho-Hemopoietic System
Lymphocytes and the other blood and tissue cells derived from the pluri-potential hemopoietic stem cell share not only this common cellular origin, but also many structural and functional properties. One important common property of lympho-hemopoietic cells is the capacity to undergo rapid changes in response to invasion by micro-organisms or other foreign substances. These changes typically include increases in number, localization at sites of pathology, activation of various functions and in many cases are mediated by soluble polypeptide factors. A considerable number of such molecules have now been identified. Some appear to be solely the products of lymphoid cells or of other cells of hemopoietic origin and act as internal regulators of the lynpho-hemopoietic system, whereas others are made by other cell-types eg. epithelial, fibroblasts or endothelial cells. Lymphoid and other cells of hemopoietic origin also produce polypeptides that act outside the lympho-hemopoietic system on epithelial cells, fibroblasts, etc.
KeywordsMigration Carbohydrate Leukemia Fractionation Polypeptide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Crapper, R.M., Clark-Lewis, I., Schrader, J.W., (1985) Immunology, In press.Google Scholar
- 10.Schrader, J.W., Clark-Lewis, I., Ziltener, H.J., Hood, L.E., Kent, S.B.M. (1987) in Immunoregulatory Polypeptides, eds Goldstein, G., Wigzell, H. In Press.Google Scholar
- 12.Crapper, R.M., Thomas, W.R., Schrader, J.W. (1984) J. Immunol. 133, 2174Google Scholar
- 13.Crapper, R.M., Vairo, G., Hamilton, J., Clark-Lewis, I., Schrader, J.W. (1985) Blood, In press.Google Scholar
- 15.Ymer, S., Tucker, W.Q.J., Sanderson, C.J., Hapel, A.J., Campbell, H.D., Young, I.A. (1985) Nature, In pressGoogle Scholar
- 16.Schrader, J.W., Schrader, S., Leslie, K., Dunn, A. (1985) in Leukemia: Recent Advances in Biology and Treatment, eds. Gale, R.P., Golde, D. (Liss, New York) p. 203.Google Scholar
- 17.Schrader, J.W., Leslie, K.B., Ziltener, H.J., and Schrader, S. (1987) J. Cell Biochem, In press.Google Scholar
- 18.Ziltener, H.J., Clark-Lewis, I., Hood, L.E., Kent, S.B.H., Schrader, J.W. (1987) J. Immunol., In PressGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ziltener, H.J., Clark-Lewis, I., Fazekas, B., Hood, L.E., Kent, S.B.H., Schrader, J.W. (1987) J. Immunol., In Press.Google Scholar