A Genetic Algorithm for the Index Selection Problem
This paper considers the problem of minimizing the response time for a given database workload by a proper choice of indexes. This problem is NP-hard and known in the literature as the Index Selection Problem (ISP).
We propose a genetic algorithm (GA) for solving the ISP. Computational results of the GA on standard ISP instances are compared to branchand- cut method and its initialisation heuristics and two state of the art MIP solvers: CPLEX and OSL. These results indicate good performance, reliability and efficiency of the proposed approach.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Answer Time Uniform Crossover Maintenance Time Elitist Individual
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Y. A. Kochetov and E. N. Goncharov. Probabilistic tabu search algorithm for the multi-stage uncapacitated facility location problem. In B. Fleischmann, R. Lasch, U. Derigs, W. Domschke, and U. Rieder, editors, Operations Research Proceedings 2000, pages 65–70. Springer, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Barcucci, R. Pinzani, and R. Sprugnoli. Optimal selection of secondary indexes. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 16, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.M.Y.L. Ip, L.V. Saxton, and V.V. Raghavan. On the selection of an optimal set of indexes. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, pages 135–143, 1983.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Caprara, M. Fischetti, and D. Maio. Exact and approximate algorithms for the index selection problem in physical database design. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 7(6), 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Kratica. Parallelization of Genetic Algorithms for Solving Some NP-complete Problems (in Serbian). PhD thesis, Faculty of Mathematics, Belgrade, 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Syswerda. Uniform crossover in genetic algorithms. In 3th International Conference on Genetic ALgorithms, ICGA’89, pages 2–9, Internet, 1989. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, Calif.Google Scholar
- 13.V. Filipović. Proposition for improvement tournament selection operator in genetic algorithms (in serbian). Master’s thesis, Faculty of Mathematics, Belgrade, 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.V. Filipović, J. Kratica, D. Tošić, and I. Ljubić. Fine grained tournament selection for the simple plant location problem. In 5th Online World Conference on Soft Computing Methods in Industrial Applications, WSC5, pages 152–158, Internet, 2000. ISBN: 951-22-5205-8.Google Scholar