Combinations of Local Search and Exact Algorithms
In this paper we describe the advantadges and disadvantages of local search and exact methods of solving NP-hard problems and see why combining the two approaches is highly desirable.We review some of the papers existent in the literature that create new algorithms from such combinations. In this paper we focus on local search approaches that are strengthened by the use of exact algorithms.
KeywordsLocal Search Travelling Salesman Problem Exact Algorithm Variable Neighbourhood Search Local Search Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.K. Ahuja, T.L. Magnanti, and J.B. Orlin. Network Flows: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications. Prentice Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Applegate, R. Bixby, V. Chvátal, and W. Cook. On the solution of traveling salesman problem. Documenta Mathematica, Extra Volume ICM III:645–656, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Applegate, R. Bixby, V. Chvátal, and W. Cook. Finding Tours in the TSP. Technical Report 99885, Forschungsinstitut für Diskrete Mathematik, University of Bonn, Germany, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.E.K. Burke, P. Cowling, and R. Keuthen. Embedded local search and variable neighbourhood search heuristics applied to the travelling salesman problem. Technical report, University of Nottingham, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.E.K. Burke, P.I. Cowling, and R. Keuthen. Effective local and guided variable neighbourhood search methods for the asymmetric travelling salesman problem. EvoWorkshop 2001, LNCS, 2037:203–212, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.R. K. Congram. Polynomially Searchable Exponential Neighbourhoods for Sequencing Problems in Combinatorial Optimisation. PhD thesis, University of Southampton, Faculty of Mathematical Studies, UK, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Dorigo and G. Di Caro. The Ant Colony Optimization meta-heuristic. In D. Corne, M. Dorigo, and F. Glover, editors, New Ideas in Optimization, pages 11–32. McGraw Hill, London, UK, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Dorigo and T. Stützle. The ant colony optimization metaheuristic:Algorithms, applications and advances. In F. Glover and G. Kochenberger, editors, Handbook of Metaheuristics. Kluwer Academic Publishers, To appear in 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.I. Dumitrescu. Constrained Shortest Path and Cycle Problems. PhD thesis, The University of Melbourne, 2002. http://www.intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~irina.
- 13.M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson. Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. Freeman, San Francisco, CA, 1979.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Hansen and N. Mladenovic. Meta-Heuristics: Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimization, chapterAn Introduction to Variable Neighborhood Search, pages 433–458. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 1999.Google Scholar
- 18.D. S. Johnson, G. Gutin, L. A. McGeoch, A. Yeo, W. Zhang, and A. Zverovitch. Experimental analysis of heuristics for the ATSP. In G. Gutin and A. Punnen, editors, The Traveling Salesman Problem and its Variations, pages 445–487. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.Google Scholar
- 20.H. R. LourenÇo, O. Martin, and T. Stützle. Iterated local search. In F. Glover and G. Kochenberger, editors, Handbook of Metaheuristics, volume 57 of International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, pages 321–353. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2002.Google Scholar
- 21.H.R. LourenÇo.A Computational Study of the Job-Shop and the Flow-Shop Scheduling Problems. PhD thesis, School of Or & IE, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1993.Google Scholar
- 25.G. Nemhauser and L. Wolsey. Integer and Combinatorial Optimization. JohnWiley & Sons, 1988.Google Scholar
- 27.K.E. Rosing and C.S. ReVelle. Heuristic concentration: Two stage solution construction. European Journal of Operational Research, pages 955–961, 1997.Google Scholar
- 30.B. Roy and B. Sussmann. Les problemes d’ordonnancement avec constraintes disjonctives. Notes DS no. 9 bis, SEMA.Google Scholar
- 31.P.M. Thompson and J.B. Orlin. The theory of cycle transfers. Working Paper No. OR 200-89, 1989.Google Scholar
- 33.M. Vasquez and J-K. Hao. A hybrid approach for the 0-1 multidimensional knapsack problem. In Proceedings of the IJCAI-01, pages 328–333, 2001.Google Scholar
- 34.C. Voudouris. Guided Local Search for Combinatorial Optimization Problems. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, UK, 1997.Google Scholar