Optimization Tools for Radiation Treatment Planning in Matlab
This chapter describes a suite of optimization tools for radiation treatment planning within the Matlab programming environment. The data included with these tools was computed for real patient cases using a Monte Carlo dose engine. The formulation of a series of optimization models is described that utilizes this data within a modeling system. Furthermore, visualization techniques are provided that assist in validating the quality of each solution. The versatility and utility of the tools are shown using a sequence of optimization techniques designed to generate a practical solution. These tools and the associated data are available for download from www.cs.wisc.edu/~ferris/3dcrt.
Key wordsOptimization Radiation treatment planning Matlab
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bortfeld, T., A.L. Boyer, W. Schlegel, D.L. Kahler, and T.J. Waldron (1994). Realization and verification of three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy with modulated fields. International Journal of Radiation Oncology: Biology, Physics, 30, 899–908.Google Scholar
- van der Eijk, P. (2002). GDX facilities in GAMS. GAMS Contributed Software, http://www.gams.com/contrib/GDXUtils.pdf.
- Webb, S. (1997). The Physics of Conformal Radiotherapy. Bristol, UK: Institute of Physics Publishing.Google Scholar
- Chen, G.T.Y., D.R. Spelbring, C.A. Pelizzari, J.M. Balter, L.C. Myrianthopoulous, S. Vijayakumar, and H. Halpern (1992). The use of beam eye view volumetrics in the selection of noncoplanar radiation portals. International Journal of Radiation Oncology: Biology, Physics, 23, 153–163.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McShan, D.L. B.A. Fraass, and A.S. Lichter (1989). Full integration of the beam’s eye view concept into computerized treatment planning. International Journal of Radiation Oncology: Biology, Physics, 18, 1485–1494.Google Scholar
- Myrianthopoulos, L.C., G.T.Y. Chen, S. Vijayakumar, H. Halpern, D. R. Spelbring, and C.A. Pelizzari (1992). Beams eye view volumetrics-an aid in rapid treatment plan development and evaluation. International Journal of Radiation Oncology: Biology, Physics, 23, 67–375.Google Scholar
- Lim, J., M.C. Ferris, S.J. Wright, D.M. Shepard, and M.A. Earl (2002). An optimization framework for conformation radiation treatment planning. Optimization Technical Report 02-08, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.Google Scholar
- Romeijn, H.E., R.K. Ahuja, and J.F. Dempsey (2003). A new linear programming approach to radiation therapy treatment planning problems. Technical Report, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.Google Scholar
- Ferris, M.C. (1998). MATLAB and GAMS interfacing optimization and visualization soft ware. Mathematical Programming Technical Report 98-19, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.Google Scholar