About this book
This handbook presents a diverse range of effective treatment approaches for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Its triple focus on key concepts, treatment and training modalities, and evidence-based interventions for challenging behaviors of individuals with IDD provides a solid foundation for effective treatment strategies, theory-to-implementation issues, and the philosophical and moral aspects of care. Expert contributions advocate for changes in treating individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities by emphasizing caregiver support as well as respecting and encouraging client autonomy, self-determination, and choice. With its quality-of-life approach, the handbook details practices that are person-centered and supportive as well as therapeutically sound.
Topics featured in the handbook include:
- Functional and preference assessments for clinical decision making.
- Treatment modalities from cognitive behavioral therapy and pharmacotherapy to mindfulness, telehealth, and assistive technologies.
- Self-determination and choice as well as community living skills.
- Quality-of-life issues for individuals with IDD.
- Early intensive behavior interventions for autism spectrum disorder.
- Skills training for parents of children with IDD as well as staff training in positive behavior support.
- Evidence-based interventions for a wide range of challenging behaviors and issues.
The Handbook of Evidence-Based Practices in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities is a must-have resource for researchers, clinicians, scientist-practitioners, and graduate students in clinical psychology, social work, behavior therapy, and rehabilitation.
Aggression and intellectual disabilities Assessment methodology for intellectual disabilities Cognitive behavior therapy and intellectual disabilities Community living skills and intellectual disabilities Community support needs and intellectual disabilities Complementary therapies for intellectual disabilities Diagnostic instruments for intellectual disabilities Evidence-based practices in developmental disabilities Feeding problems and intellectual disabilities Functional skills training and intellectual disabilities Intellectual disability across the lifespan Mindfulness-based therapies for intellectual disabilities Parent training and intellectual disabilities Pica and intellectual disabilities Psychopathology and intellectual disabilities Self-injurious behavior and intellectual disabilities Sexual offenses and intellectual disabilities Social skills training and intellectual disabilities Staff training and intellectual disabilities Toileting competence and intellectual disabilities
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26583-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-26581-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-26583-4
- Series Print ISSN 2366-6013
- Series Online ISSN 2366-6021
- About this book