Comparative assessment of the potential of regions in the Russian Far East
- 32 Downloads
This work provides a comparative assessment of the potential of the regions of the Russian Far East. Their general potential includes five identified basic components, namely, social-demographic, economic, natural resources, transportation infrastructure, and international cooperation components. The regions were ranked using a ranking method based on their indices for 2005–2011, then divided in three types according to the development of their potential. As a result, the highest rank was assigned to the Primorski and Khabarovsk krais and the lowest rank was assigned to the Jewish Autonomous oblast. This article focuses on the development of international cooperation as one of the main trends in the externally oriented Russian Far East of today. Depending on their geographical proximity to China as the most obvious country for partnership, the regions of the Far East are divided into three types. The geographical proximity factor is used the value of which decreases as a subject’s distance from the border with China increases. Finally, the typology of regions is elaborated, which takes into account the factor of geographical proximity and reflects the level of potential of international cooperation.
Keywordspotential development comparative assessment ranking geographical and transport position Russian Far East China international cooperation geographical proximity factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baklanov, P.Ya. and Ganzei, S.S., Transgranichnye territorii: problemy ustoichivogo prirodopol’zovaniya (Transboundary Territories: Problems of Sustainable Nature Management), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 2008.Google Scholar
- 2.Baklanov, P.Ya. and Romanov, M.T., Ekonomikogeograficheskoe i geopoliticheskoe polozhenie Tikhookeanoskoi Rossii (Economic-Geographical and Geopolitical Location of Pacific Russia), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 2009.Google Scholar
- 3.Foreign Economic Activities in Primorye in 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Dal’nii Vostok Rossii (Polozhenie Primorskogo kraya v sravneniii s drugimi sub”ektami Dal’nevostochnogo Federal’nogo Okruga), 2008: doklad (Far East of Russia: Position of Primorski Krai Compared with Other Regions of the Far Eastern Federal District, a Report, 2008), Vladivostok: Primorskstat, 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Dal’nii Vostok Rossii (Polozhenie Primorskogo kraya v sravneniii s drugimi sub”ektami Dal’nevostochnogo Federal’nogo Okruga), 2011: statisticheskii sbornik (Far East of Russia: Position of Primorski Krai Compared with Other Regions of the Far Eastern Federal District, Statistical Yearbook, 2011), Vladivostok: Primorskstat, 2011.Google Scholar
- 6.Devaeva, E.I., Foreign economic factor of development of the Russian Far East, Prostr. Ekon., 2008, no. 2, pp. 46–59.Google Scholar
- 7.Correlation, Wikipedia, 2013. http://ru.wikipedia.org. Cited August 8, 2013.
- 8.Larin, V.L., Tikhookeanskaya Rossiya v kontekste vneshnei politiki i mezhdunarodnykh otnoshenii v Aziatsko-Tikhookeanoskom regione v nachale XXI veka (Pacific Russia in the Context of Foreign Policy and International Relations in Asia-Pacific Region in the Beginning of 21st Century), Vladivostok: Inst. Istor., Arkheol., Etnogr., Dal’nevost. Otd., Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2011.Google Scholar
- 9.Prokapalo, O.M., Comparison of social-economic potentials of the regions of the Far Eastern Federal district, Reg.: Ekon. Sotsiol., 2000, no. 2, pp. 146–155.Google Scholar
- 10.Promyshlennoe proizvodstvo v Kamchatskom krae, 2012: statisticheskii sbornik (Industry of Kamchatka Krai, 2012: Statistical Handbook), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii: Kamchatstat, 2012.Google Scholar
- 11.Rybolovstvo, pererabotka, i konservirovanie ryboi moreproduktov v Kamchatskom krae: statisticheskii sbornik, 2012 (Fishery, Processing, and Preserving of Fish and Sea Products in Kamchatka Krai: Statistical Handbook, 2012), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii: Kamchatstat, 2012.Google Scholar
- 12.Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskoe polozhenie Primorskogo kraya v sravnenii s sub”ektami Dal’nevostochnogo federal’nogo okruga v 2006 godu (Social-Economic Position of Primorskii Krai Compared with the Regions of the Far Eastern Federal District in 2006), Vladivostok: Rosstat, 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.American Business Climate and Economic Profiles, Washington D.C., 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.State rankings 1993: a statistical view the 50 United States, Morgan Quinto Co., 1993.Google Scholar