Struggling towards virtuous coevolution: institutional and strategic works of Alibaba in building the Taobao e-commerce ecosystem
- 116 Downloads
The business ecosystem literature has accumulated a rich array of theoretical and empirical insights, which presume a keystone role of the focal company in facilitating virtuous coevolution that synchronises fundamental logics across multi-level fields to secure its competitive advantage. However, scant attention has been paid to the mechanisms underlying keystone strategies. This paper examines the case of Alibaba in building its Taobao ecosystem, drawing on organisational institutionalism theories, to develop a theoretical model that directs attention towards fundamental patterns and configurations of institutionalisation-influencing strategies and utilisation of the constructed institutional foundation to achieve a competitive advantage.
KeywordsBusiness ecosystem Virtuous coevolution Institutional strategy Business strategy Alibaba China
The authors wish to thank Guest Editor Ke Rong, the two anonymous reviewers, Qianni Gu and Peter Bamberger for their helpful and supportive comments on earlier versions of this paper. This research was supported in part by the Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC 71502101, 71502109).
- Alibaba. 2010. Internal Talks by Yun Ma. Beijing: Hongqi Publishers. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Alibaba. 2013. Internal Talks by Yun Ma, 2. Beijing: Hongqi Publishers. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Alstyne, Van, W. Marshall, Geoffrey G. Parker, and Sangeet Paul Choudary. 2016. Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy. Harvard Business Review 94 (4): 54–62.Google Scholar
- Clark, Duncan. 2016. Alibaba: The House that Jack Ma Built. New York: Harper Collins Publishers.Google Scholar
- Einhorn, Bruce, and Frederik Balfour. 2012. Jack Ma is the Loneliest Billionaire in China. BusinessWeek, June 18–24, http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-06-14/jack-ma-is-the-loneliest-billionaire-in-china (accessed August 12, 2017).
- Friedland, Roger, and Robert R. Alford. 1991. Bringing Society Back in Symbols, Practices and Institutional Contradictions. In The New Institutionalism in Organizational Analysis, ed. Walter W. Powell, and Paul J. DiMaggio, 232–263. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Greenwood, Royston, Christine Oliver, Kerstin Sahlin, and Roy Suddaby. 2008. Introduction. In The Sage Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism, ed. Royston Greenwood, Christine Oliver, Roy Suddaby, and Kerstin Sahlin, 1–46. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, Andrew J. 1999. Institutional Evolution and Change: Environmentalism and the U.S. Chemical Industry. Academy of Management Journal 42 (4): 351–371.Google Scholar
- Huang, Yu. 2006. Users Claimed that Taobao Connives at Parallel Goods, Taobao Said that They Provides Only Transaction Platform, http://net.chinabyte.com/297/2644797.shtml (accessed July 19, 2017). (in Chinese).
- Iansiti, Macro, and Roy Levien. 2004a. Strategy as Ecology. Harvard Business Review 82 (3): 68–81.Google Scholar
- Iansiti, Macro, and Roy Levien. 2004b. The Keystone Advantage: What the New Dynamics of Business Ecosystems Mean for Strategy, Innovation, and Sustainability. Boston: Harvard Business Press.Google Scholar
- IDC (International Data Corporation), and Alibaba Group Research Centre. 2012. Accelerating Progress of Information Society: E-Commerce and the Socioeconomic Influence of Alibaba Business Ecology, https://wenku.baidu.com/view/5901efde6f1aff00bed51e1d.html (accessed August 1, 2016). (in Chinese).
- iResearch. 2016. China’s Online Shopping GMV Kept Rising in 2015, http://www.iresearchchina.com/content/details7_22434.html (accessed January 8, 2017).
- Liu, Qiangdong. 2016. Qiangdong Liu Stated: My Business Model. Beijing: CITIC Press. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- MOFCOM (Ministry of Commerce of China). 2007a. Opinions of the Ministry of Commerce on Promoting the Development of Electronic Commerce, http://www.gov.cn/ztzl/2007-12/17/content_836630.htm (accessed November 1, 2016). (in Chinese).
- MOFCOM. 2007b. Guidance on Online Transactions (interim), http://www.gov.cn/zwgk/2007-03/29/content_565020.htm (accessed November 1, 2016). (in Chinese).
- MOFCOM. 2009a. Specifications for Online Transaction Services, http://www.hebi.gov.cn/swj/741665/741684/983305/index.html (accessed November 1, 2016). (in Chinese).
- MOFCOM. 2009b. Specifications for E-Commerce Model, http://www.hebi.gov.cn/swj/741665/741684/983301/index.html (accessed November 1, 2016). (in Chinese).
- MOFCOM. 2011a. Opinion of the Ministry of Commerce on the Development of E-Commerce during the Period of the Twelfth Five-Year Plan, http://www.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/b/d/201110/20111007788024.html (accessed December 15, 2016). (in Chinese).
- MOFCOM. 2011b. Service Specifications for Third-Party E-Commerce Transaction Platforms, http://www.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/b/c/201104/20110407516456.html (accessed December 15, 2016). (in Chinese).
- Moore, James F. 1993. Predators and Prey: A New Ecology of Competition. Harvard Business Review 71: 75–86.Google Scholar
- Moore, James F. 1996. The Death of Competition: Leadership & Strategy in the Age of Business Ecosystems. New York: HarperBusiness.Google Scholar
- Ofili, Onyeka Uche. 2016. Internationalization: Choosing the Right Entry Mode: Lessons From Ebay’s Strategy in China. European Scientific Journal 12 (1): 202–219.Google Scholar
- Peltoniemi, Mirva. 2006. Preliminary Theoretical Framework for the Study of Business Ecosystems. Emergence: Complexity & Organization 8 (1): 10–18.Google Scholar
- Peng, Yao. 2016. Tencent Truth Mosaic. Beijing: Publishing House of Electronics Industry. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Scott, W.Richard. 2001. Institutions and Organizations, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Thomas, Llewellyn D. W., and Erkko Autio. 2014. The Fifth Facet: The Ecosystem as an Organizational Field. Paper presented at the DRUID Society Conference 2014, CBS, Copenhagen, June 16–18.Google Scholar
- Thornton, Patricia H. 2002. The Rise of the Corporation in a Craft Industry: Conflict and Conformity in Institutional Logics. Academy of Management Journal 45 (1): 81–101.Google Scholar
- Wang, Helen H. 2010. How eBay Failed in China, http://www.forbes.com/sites/china/2010/09/12/how-ebay-failed-in-china/ (accessed November 30, 2017).
- Wang, Jing, and Tiankuo Zhang. 2008. Utopia of Jack Ma: New Business Civilization after ‘Dharma Five Fingers’ Integration. In 21st Century Business Herald, http://tech.sina.com.cn/i/2008-11-22/02392596663.shtml (accessed April 5, 2017). (in Chinese).
- Weill, Peter, and Stephanie L. Woerner. 2015. Thriving in an Increasingly Digital Ecosystem. MIT Sloan Management Review 56 (4): 27–34.Google Scholar
- Yang, Yang 2006. Tencent Paipai was Launched to the Public. http://tech.sina.com.cn/i/2006-03-18/1438870880.shtml. Accessed January 5, 2017. (in Chinese).
- Yin, Robert K. 2013. Case Study Research: Design and Methods, 5th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Yuan, Yin. 2013. Alibaba: The Same Ecology, Millions of Companies. Green Companies, http://www.daonong.com/g/19/fengmian/2013/0125/35982.html (accessed November 25, 2017). (in Chinese).