Preliminary Moho depth determination from receiver function analysis using AlpArray stations in Hungary
- 30 Downloads
Receiver function analysis is applied to the western part of the Pannonian Basin, a rather complex region both geologically and geodynamically. Previous receiver function analyses in this region had to deal with much smaller station density and time span than those available to us. In the analysis we used the data of some 48 seismological stations. These include not only the permanent stations from Hungary and permanent stations from neighbouring countries (Slovakia and Slovenia), but also the temporary broadband stations that were installed within the framework of the AlpArray project. Having applied rather strict manual quality control on the calculated radial receiver functions we stacked the receiver functions. Using the H–K grid search method we determined the Moho depth and the Vp/Vs ratio beneath the seismological stations in the western part of the Pannonian Basin. The unprecedented density of the AlpArray network, combined with the permanent stations, allowed us to derive high resolution Moho and Vp/Vs maps for the West Pannonian Basin, together with uncertainty estimates. Our preliminary results agree well with previous studies and complement them with finer details on the Moho topography and crustal thickness.
KeywordsPannonian Basin AlpArray project Receiver function analysis Moho discontinuity
The reported investigation was supported by the National Research, Development and Innovation Fund (No. K124241). Waveforms were used from the AlpArray temporary network ( https://doi.org/10.12686/alparray/z3_2015), from the Hungarian National Seismological Network ( https://doi.org/10.14470/uh028726), the Slovak National Seismological Network ( https://doi.org/10.14470/fx099882) as well as the Slovenian National Seismological Network ( https://doi.org/10.7914/sn/sl). We would like to thank to the authors of Generic Mapping Tools (GMT) software (Wessel and Smith 1998). The authors thank the two anonymous reviewers whose comments helped to improve the paper.
- Ammon CJ (1991) The isolation of receiver effects from teleseismic P waveforms. Bull Seismol Soc Am 81:2504–2510Google Scholar
- Ammon CJ (1997) An overview of receiver function analysis. http://eqseis.geosc.psu.edu/~cammon/HTML/RftnDocs/rftn01.html Accessed 22 Apr 2017
- Crotwell HP, Owens JT (2005) Automated receiver function processing. Bull Seismol Soc Am 76:702–709Google Scholar
- Fodor LI (2010) Mezozoos-kainozoos feszültségmezők és törésrendszerek a Pannon-medence ÉNy-i részén—módszertan és szerkezeti elemzés. DSc thesis, BudapestGoogle Scholar
- Gráczer Z, Bondár I, Czanik C, Czifra T, Győri E, Kiszely M, Mónus P, Süle B, Szanyi G, Tóth L, Varga P, Wesztergom V, Wéber Z (2004–2015) Hungarian National Seismological Bulletin. http://www.seismology.hu/index.php/en/seismicity/earthquake-bulletins. Accessed 08 May 2017
- Gráczer Z, Szanyi G, Bondár I, Czanik C, Czifra T, Győri E, Hetényi G, Kovács I, Molinari I, Süle B, Szűcs E, Wesztergom V, Wéber Z, AlpArray Working Group (2018) AlpArray in Hungary: temporary and permanent seismological networks in the transition zone between the Eastern Alps and the Pannonian basin. Acta Geodaetica et Geophysica Hungarica. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40328-018-0213-4 Google Scholar
- Hetényi G, Molinari I, Clinton J, Bokelmann G, Bondár I, Crawford WC, Dessa JX, Doubre C, Friederich W, Fuchs F, Giardini D, Gráczer Z, Handy MR, Herak M, Jia Y, Kissling E, Kopp H, Korn M, Margheriti L, Meier T, Mucciarelli M, Paul A, Pesaresi D, Piromallo C, Plenefisch T, Plomerová J, Ritter J, Rümpker G, Sipka V, Spallarossa D, Thomas C, Tilmann F, Wassermann J, Weber M, Wéber Z, Wesztergom V, Zivcic M, Team ASN, Crew AOC, Group AW (2018) The AlpArray seismic network—a large-scale European experiment to image the Alpine orogeny. Surv Geophys. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10712-018-9472-4 Google Scholar
- Horváth F, Bada G, Windhoffer G, Csontos L, Dombrádi E, Dövényi P, Fodor L, Grenercy G, Síkhegyi F, Szafián P, Székely B, Tímár G, Tóth L, Tóth T (2006) A Pannon-medence jelenkori geodinamikájának atlasza: Euro-konform térképsorozat és magyarázó. Magyar Geofizika 47:133–137Google Scholar
- Lenkey L (1999) Geothermics of the Pannonian basin and its bearing on the tectonics of basin evolution. PhD thesis, Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Ligorría JP, Ammon CJ (1999) Iterative deconvolution and receiver-function estimation. Bull Seismol Soc Am 89:1395–1400Google Scholar