Study of the Formation Mechanism of A-Segregation Based on Microstructural Morphology
A model that combines a cellular automaton (CA) and lattice Boltzmann method (LBM) is presented. The mechanism of A-segregation in an Fe-0.34 wt pct C alloy ingot is analyzed on the basis of microstructural morphology calculations. The CA is used to capture the solid/liquid interface, while the LBM is used to calculate the transport phenomena. (1) The solidification of global columnar dendrites was simulated, and two obvious A-segregation bands appeared in the middle-radius region between the ingot wall surface and the centerline. In addition, the angle of deflection to the centerline increased with the increasing heat dissipation rate of the wall surface. When natural convection was ignored, the A-segregation disappeared, and only positive segregation was present in the center and bottom corner of the ingot. (2) Mixed columnar–equiaxed solidification was simulated. Many A-segregation bands appeared in the ingot. (3) Global equiaxed solidification was simulated, and no A-segregation bands were found. The results show that the upward movement of the high-concentration melt is the key to the formation of A-segregation bands, and remelting and the emergence of equiaxed grains are not necessary conditions to develop these bands. However, the appearance of equiaxed grains accelerates the formation of vortexes; thus, many A-segregation bands appear during columnar–equiaxed solidification.
This work was funded by the National Science Foundation of China No. 51475138.
- 1.C. Beckermann: Mater. Sci. Technol., 2001, pp. 4733–38.Google Scholar
- 2.Marburg E: Metals, 1953, pp.157-172.Google Scholar
- 3.Suzuki K, Miyamoto T: Trans. Iron. Steel. Inst. 1978, vol.18, pp.80-89.Google Scholar
- 9.Flemings M C: Metal. 1976, vol.5, pp. 1-15.Google Scholar
- 24.Pan S Y, Yang C R, Sun D K, Dai T, Zhu M F: Acta. Metall. Sin. 2009, vol.45, pp.43-45.Google Scholar
- 25.Guo Z L, Li Q, Zheng C G: Comput. Phys. 2002, vol.19, pp.483-487.Google Scholar
- 28.Sun D K, Zhu M F, Yang C R, Pan S Y: Acta. Phys. Sin. 2009, vol.58, pp.285-291.Google Scholar
- 33.Hu X L, Guo Z L, Zheng C G: Hydrodynam. 2003, vol.2, pp.127–128.Google Scholar