ToF-SIMS Study on the Initial Stages of the Halogen Effect in the Oxidation of TiAl Alloys
- 151 Downloads
Intermetallic titanium aluminide samples implanted with fluorine using plasma immersion ion implantation were investigated after high-temperature exposure for short times at 500 and 900 °C in air by ToF-SIMS as a surface analytical method. The ToF-SIMS method was applied in order to obtain information regarding the location of fluorine with respect to the oxide layer formed and the substrate after ion implantation and after high-temperature exposure, respectively. The aim of the present work was to obtain further insight into the mechanisms active during the initial stages of oxidation. The scale structure in the initial oxidation phase consists of titanium and aluminum oxides/fluorides/oxyfluorides. The arrangement of their layered structure can be interpreted according to their thermodynamic stabilities in the partial pressure gradient of oxygen over the scale and according to the metal activities and the presence of fluorine at the metal/scale interface.
KeywordsTitanium aluminides Halogen effect Oxidation ToF-SIMS
The authors would like to thank Dr. Rossen Yankov at Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf for performing the implantation experiments. Furthermore, thanks are due to Dr. Alexander Donchev from DECHEMA-Forschungsinstitut for the thermodynamic calculations in Table 1. Funding was provided by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
- 1.B. Bewlay, M. Weimer, T. Kelly, A. Suzuki and P. R. Subramanian, in MRS Symposium Proceedings, vol. 1516, eds. I. Baker, M. Heilmaier, S. Kumar and K. Yoshimi (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2013), p. 49.Google Scholar
- 2.R. R. Boyer and J. C. Williams, in Titanium 2011 Proceedings, eds. L. Zhou, H. Chang, J. Lu and D. Xu (Science Press, Beijing, 2012), p. 10.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Clemens, M. Schloffer, E. Schwaighofer, R. Werner, A. Geitzenauer, B. Rashkova, R. Pippan and S. Mayer, in MRS Symposium Proceedings, vol. 1516, eds. I. Baker, M. Heilmaier, S. Kumar and K. Yoshimi (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2013), p. 3.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Kofstad, High Temperature Corrosion, (Elsevier Applied Science, London and New York, 1988).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Schütze and S. Friedle, in MRS Symposium Proceedings, eds. I. Baker, M. Heilmaier, S. Kumar and K. Yoshimi (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2013), p. 77.Google Scholar
- 29.P. Masset, H.-E. Zschau, S. Neve, and M. Schütze, in Ti-2007 Science and Technology, Proceedings of the 11th World Conference on Titanium (JIMIC5), Kyoto, Japan, 3–7 June 2007, eds. M. Ninomi, S. Akiyama, M. Ikeda, M. Hagiwara, and K. Maruyama, Vol. 6 (2007).Google Scholar
- 34.S. Neve, K. Stiebing, L. P. H. Schmidt, H.-E. Zschau, P. J. Masset and M. Schütze, Materials Science Forum 638–642, 1389 (2010).Google Scholar