Analysis of semiconductor coupled waveguides with interband absorption
- 131 Downloads
The main goal of this paper is the discussion of the energy transfer mechanisms between two concentric waveguides. An analytical model is developed for the electromagnetic propagation in two coupled concentric semiconductor waveguides. This model includes the calculation of the semiconductor refractive index taking into account the carrier densities, temperature and frequency. The model allows the analysis of the mechanisms of energy transfer between the two waveguides. As expected two types of energy loss are present, one related to the curvature of the waveguides and the other related to the absorption of the radiation in the semiconductor. Finally, the analyzed structure was optimized with regards to the above parameters.
KeywordsAbsorption model Waveguide Frequency Temperature Carrier density
This work was supported by national founds through the Fundação para a ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) of the Portuguese Government through IT with reference UID/EEA/50008/2013.
- Bykov, D.V., Silichev, O.: Laser Resonators. Cambridge International Science Publishing, United Kingdom (1995) Google Scholar
- Dixit, K.: Filtering Resonators. Nova Science Publishers Inc, United States (2001)Google Scholar
- Hall, D., Jackson, P.: The Physics and Technology of Laser Resonators. Taylor Francis Ltd, United Kingdom (1989)Google Scholar
- Kudryashov, A., Weber, H.: Laser Resonators: Novel Design and Development. SPIE–The International Society for Optical Engineering, United States States of America (1999)Google Scholar
- Rafizadeh, D., Zhang, J.P., Hagness, S.C., Taflove, A., Stair, K.A., Ho, S.T.: Temperature tuning of microcavity ring and disk resonators at 1.5 μm. In: Proceedings of the IEEE LEOS Annual Meeting, pp. 162–163 (1997).doi: 10.1109/LEOS.1997.645327
- Torres, J.: Laseres em anel semicondutor. Ph.D. Thesis, Technical University of Lisbon (2014)Google Scholar