Semantically connected web resources with MPEG-21
- 166 Downloads
The Web is rapidly becoming the prime medium for human socialization. The resources that enable that process (social web sites, blogs, media objects, etc.) present growing complexity and, collectively, weave an ever more intricate web of relationships. Current technology for declaring those relationships is predominantly implicit, ambiguous and semantically poor. As a consequence, their automatic assessment is complex and error prone, preventing the satisfaction of users’ needs such as effective semantic searches. To address these limitations, whilst enabling the explicit declaration of semantically unambiguous relationships between digital resources, a solution employing structured semantic descriptors and ontologies was conceived, based on MPEG-21. This paper explains the functioning of the devised mechanism, and goes beyond that, into the definition of two novel employment venues for it, at the service of two real-world usage scenarios. These demonstrate the mechanism’s added value as a powerful alternative for the semantically aware interconnection of web resources, and highlight the increased QoE that said mechanism enables.
KeywordsSemantic Web Relationships MPEG-21 DID DII Cloud QoE Content Search Metadata RDF/OWL
The work here described was accomplished within the framework of the CONVERGENCE project . The authors would like to thank all the CONVERGENCE partners for the fruitful collaboration, in particular those who have contributed to the development of the CONVERGENCE use cases. CEDEO and CNIT’s work for this paper was also carried out within the framework of the FP7/NICT EU-JAPAN GreenICN (www.greenicn.org) project.
The work presented in this paper was partially supported by: Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology within project FCT/UTA-Est/MAI/0010/2009; the North Portugal Regional Operational Program (ON.2 – O Novo Norte), under the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), through the European Regional, Development Fund (ERDF).
- 1.Aitenbichler E, Behring A, Bradler D, Hartmann M, Mühlhäuser M, Ries S, Schnelle-Walka D, Schreiber D, Steimle J, Strufe T (2010) Shaping the future internet. Ubiquitous Computing and Communication Journal, vol. Special Issue of IOPTS, www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
- 2.Aleman-Meza B, Arpinar IB, Nural MV, and Sheth AP (2010) Ranking Documents Semantically Using Ontological Relationships. In Proceedings of the 2010 I.E. Fourth International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC ‘10)Google Scholar
- 5.Clocksin WF (2003) Artificial intelligence and the future. Phil Trans R Soc London A 2003:361Google Scholar
- 6.CONVERGENCE Consortium (2011) CONVERGENCE project home site, http://www.ict-convergence.eu
- 8.Kahng M, Lee S, and Lee S (2011) Ranking objects by following paths in entity-relationship graphs. In Proceedings of the 4th workshop on Workshop for Ph.D. students in information & knowledge management (PIKM ‘11)Google Scholar
- 10.Linked-Data Organization HomePage, http://linkeddata.org
- 11.Marsh J, Orchard D and Veillard D (2006) XML Inclusions (XInclude) Version 1.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/, W3C
- 12.MPEG-21 (2002) ISO/IEC FDIS 21000-3 MPEG-21 - Part 3: Digital Item Identification. ISOGoogle Scholar
- 13.MPEG-21 (2005) ISO/IEC FDIS 21000-2:2005(E) MPEG-21 - Part 2: Digital Item Declaration. ISOGoogle Scholar
- 14.MPEG-21 (2006) ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003/FDAM 1:2006(E) MPEG-21 - Part 3: Digital Item Identification, AMENDMENT 1: Relates identifier types. ISOGoogle Scholar
- 15.MPEG-21 (2011) ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003/PDAM 2, MPEG-21 - Part 3: Digital Item Identification, AMENDMENT 2: Digital item semantic relationships. ISOGoogle Scholar
- 16.Official blog for schema.org. http://blog.schema.org/2011/10/w3c-web-schemas-group-is-our-new-public.html
- 17.Open Archives Initiative Object Reuse and Exchange Home: http://www.openarchives.org/ore
- 18.Page L, Brin S, Motwani R, Winograd T (1998) The pagerank citation ranking: bringing order to the web. In Stanford InfoLabGoogle Scholar
- 19.Paulheim H, Probst F (2010) Ontology-enhanced user interfaces: a survey. Int. J. Semantic Web Inf. Syst 6:36–59Google Scholar
- 20.RDFa Use Cases: Scenarios for embedding RDF in HTML. http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-scenarios
- 22.W3C’s HTML Working Group (1997) W3C HTML 4.01 Specification, Section 12–Links, http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html
- 23.Zahariadis T, Daras P, Bouwen J, Niebert N, Griffin D, Alvarez F, Camarillo G (2010) Towards a content-centric internet. In: Tselentis G et al (eds) Towards the future internet - a European research perspective. IOS Press, NetherlandsGoogle Scholar