Braided reinforced composite rods for the internal reinforcement of concrete
- 85 Downloads
This paper reports on the development of braided reinforced composite rods as a substitute for the steel reinforcement in concrete. The research work aims at understanding the mechanical behaviour of core-reinforced braided fabrics and braided reinforced composite rods, namely concerning the influence of the braiding angle, the type of core reinforcement fibre, and preloading and postloading conditions. The core-reinforced braided fabrics were made from polyester fibres for producing braided structures, and E-glass, carbon, HT polyethylene, and sisal fibres were used for the core reinforcement. The braided reinforced composite rods were obtained by impregnating the core-reinforced braided fabric with a vinyl ester resin. The preloading of the core-reinforced braided fabrics and the postloading of the braided reinforced composite rods were performed in three and two stages, respectively. The results of tensile tests carried out on different samples of core-reinforced braided fabrics are presented and discussed. The tensile and bending properties of the braided reinforced composite rods have been evaluated, and the results obtained are presented, discussed, and compared with those of conventional materials, such as steel.
Keywordsconcrete fibre-reinforced composite material core-reinforced braided fabric braided reinforced composite rod
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. A. Soudiki, “FRP reinforcement for prestressed concrete structures,” in: New Material in Construction, (1998), pp. 135–142.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Saikia, J. Thomas, A. Ramaswamy, and K. S. Nanjunda Rao, “Performance of hybrid rebars as longitudinal reinforcement in normal strength concrete,” Mater. Struct., 38, 857–864 (2005).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Uomoto, H. Mutsuyoshi, F. Katsuki, and S. Misra, “Use of fibre reinforced polymer composites as reinforcing material for concrete,” J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 191–209 (May–June, 2002).Google Scholar
- 8.H. B. Soebroto, C. M. Pastore, and F. K. Ko, “Engineering design of braided structural fibreE-glass composite,” in: Structural Composites: Design and Processing Technology, 6th Annual Conference, Advanced Composites, Detroit (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Fangueiro, F. Soutinho, S. Jalali, and M. Araujo, “Development of braided fabrics for concrete reinforcements,” in: 4th World Textile Conference Autex 2004, Czech Republic (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Fangueiro, G. Sousa, M. Araujo, C. Gonilho Pereira, and S. Jalali, “Core-reinforced composite armour as a substitute for steel in concrete reinforcement,” in: Int. Symp. Polymers in Concrete, ISPIC2006, 2–4 April, Universidade do Minho, Guimaraes, Portugal (2006).Google Scholar
- 11.R. Fangueiro, G. Sousa, F. Soutinho, S. Jalali, and M. Araujo, “Braided fibre-reinforced composite rods for concrete reinforcement,” in: 5th World Textile Conference Autex 2005, Portoroz, Slovenia (2005).Google Scholar