Investigation on a Novel Leaky Wave Antenna with Double Radiation Beam Composed of Left-handed Slab Loaded Hybrid Waveguide using Planar Technology
- 75 Downloads
A novel leaky wave antenna with double radiation beam composed of left-handed slab loaded hybrid waveguide using planar technology is proposed in this paper and its leaky characteristics are investigated with a method that the multimode network theory is combined with mode-matching method. The study of dispersion curves reveals that the proposed antenna structure supports two leaky modes corresponding to the forward and the backward radiations respectively. It demonstrates that the proposed antenna is of desirable property that can radiate both forward and backward directions simultaneously with quite simple and flexible configuration. Extensive numerical results of leaky characteristics with different structural parameters of the antenna are given to provide useful guidelines for the design of the new antenna.
KeywordsLeft-handed (LH) slab Hybrid waveguide printed circuit technology Leaky characteristic Leaky-wave antenna
The work described in this paper is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 60531020).
- 1.V. G. Veselago, The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ. Usp. Fiz. Nauk. 92, 517–526 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Baccarelli et al., Fundamental Modal Properties of Surf ace Waves on Metamaterial Grounded Slabs. IEEE Ttrans on MTT. 53(4) (2005) April.Google Scholar
- 4.F. J. Zucker, Surface- and Leaky-Wave Antennas, in: H. Jasik (Ed.) Antenna Engineering Handbook, 1st ed, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1993, ch. 16.Google Scholar
- 5.A. A. Oliner, Leaky-Wave Antennas, in: R. C. Johnson, (Ed.) Antenna Engineering Handbook, 3rd ed, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1969, ch. 10.Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. Encinar, M. Guglielmi, and A. A. Oliner, Taper optimization for sidelobe control in millimeter-wave metal-strip-loaded dielectric antennas, in URSI Radio Sci. Meet. Dig., Syracuse, NY, Jun. 1988, p. 397.Google Scholar
- 7.J. L. Gomez-Tornero et al., Design of Tapered Leaky-Wave Antennas in Hybrid Waveguide-Planar Technology for Millimeter Waveband Applications. IEEE Trans on MTT. 53(8), 2563–2577 (2005) Aug.Google Scholar
- 9.N. Marcuvitz Ed., Waveguide Handbook, p. 179, McGraw-Hill, 1951.Google Scholar
- 10.I. J. Bahl, and K. C. Gupta, A leaky-wave antenna using an artificial dielectric medium. IEEE Trans on AP-22, 119–122 (1974).Google Scholar