A Millimeter Wave Phase Locked and Frequency Multiplying Source
A millimeter wave phase locked and frequency multiplying source is proposed in this paper. The design includes an X-band phase locked loop (PLL) frequency synthesizer as the base frequency source, and a monolithic millimeter wave frequency tripler, which is developed by using OMMIC 0.18μm pHEMT process. The PLL and the tripler are integrated in a single circuit board to make a low-cost and compact frequency source with the size of 6cm × 5cm. Measurement shows an output power of more than 4.8dBm at the frequency range from 35 to 36.7GHz. A phase noise of about -92dBc/Hz at 100kHz offset is achieved.
KeywordsMillimeter wave Frequency source Tripler Phase locked loop Phase noise
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Contract Number 60621002 and 90307016. The authors would like to thank Li Zhang, Rong Wang, Wei Li and Qin Li with the help in MPW project.
- 1.C. Smith, LMDS: Local Multipoint Distribution Service. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000).Google Scholar
- 2.F. M. Gardner, Phase Look Techniques, 2nd edn. (John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1967).Google Scholar
- 4.Hittite Microwave Corporation. HMC515LP5/515LP5E Data sheet. Available via http://www.hittite.com/product_info/product_specs/vcos/hmc515lp5.pdf. Cited 15 July 2007.
- 5.D. Banerjee, PLL Performance, Simulation, and Design. National Semiconductor. Available via http://www.national.com/appinfo/wireless/pll_designbook.html. Cited 15 July 2007.
- 6.L. Lance, Accurate Phase Noise Prediction in PLL Frequency Synthesizers. Appl. Micro. Wirel. 12(5), 30–38 (2000) May.Google Scholar
- 7.Analog Devices Inc. ADF4110/ADF4111/ADF4112/ADF4113 Data sheet. Available via http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADF4113,00.html. Cited 15 July 2007.
- 8.I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microwave Solid State Circuit Design. (John Wiley & Sons, USA, 1988).Google Scholar
- 9.E. Camargo, Design of FET Frequency Multipliers and Harmonic Oscillators. (Artech House, MA, 1998).Google Scholar