Analysis of Coupling and Radiation Properties for an Improved Dielectric Waveguide Directional Coupler Utilizing a Tapering Left-Handed Slab Core
The coupling and radiation characteristics of an improved dielectric waveguide directional coupler with a tapering left-handed slab core located in the coupling region are analyzed by the staircase approximation method, which combines the building block approach and multi-mode network theory with a rigorous mode-matching procedure. Particular attentions are directed toward the radiation characteristics under different structural parameters of the coupler. Numerical results indicate that the proposed coupler is very promising by shortening the coupling length significantly while keeping the radiation loss at a low level.
KeywordsDirectional coupler Left-handed (LH) slab Coupling and radiation characteristics
The work described in this paper is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 60171037) and (No. 63531020).
- 1.V. G. Veselago, The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ɛ and μ, Usp. Fiz. Nauk. 92, 517–526 (1967)Google Scholar
- 3.D. K. Qing and Gang Chen, Enhancement of evanescent waves in waveguides using metamaterials of negative permittivity and permeability, Applied Physics Letters, 84(5) (2004) FebGoogle Scholar
- 4.S. T. Peng, Transitions in millimeter waveguides, SPIE vol. 544, no.1, Millimeter Wave Technology III, p. 71.1085.Google Scholar
- 5.Shanjia Xu, S. T. Peng and F. K. Schwering, Effect of transition waveguides on dielectric waveguide directional couplers, IEEE Trans on MTT 37(4), (1989) AprilGoogle Scholar
- 6.S.T. Peng, A.A. Oliner, Guidance and leakage properties of a class of the open dielectric waveguides. Part I: Mathmatical formulation, IEEE Trans on MTT, 1981, MTT-29, pp.843–855Google Scholar