Canonical Quantization of a Massive Weyl Field
- 195 Downloads
We construct a consistent theory of a quantum massive Weyl field. We start with the formulation of the classical field theory approach for the description of massive Weyl fields. It is demonstrated that the standard Lagrange formalism cannot be applied for the studies of massive first-quantized Weyl spinors. Nevertheless we show that the classical field theory description of massive Weyl fields can be implemented in frames of the Hamilton formalism or using the extended Lagrange formalism. Then we carry out a canonical quantization of the system. The independent ways for the quantization of a massive Weyl field are discussed. We also compare our results with the previous approaches for the treatment of massive Weyl spinors. Finally the new interpretation of the Majorana condition is proposed.
KeywordsWeyl field Hamilton formalism Quantization Majorana neutrino
I am very thankful to D.M. Gitman, J. Lukierski, and J. Maalampi for helpful discussions, to S. Forte for bringing Ref.  to my attention, as well as to FAPESP (Brazil) for a grant.
- 1.Kobzarev, I.Y., Martem’yanov, B.V., Okun’, L.B., Shchepkin, M.G.: The phenomenology of neutrino oscillations. Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 32, 823–828 (1980) Google Scholar
- 6.Itzykson, C., Zuber, J.-B.: Quantum Field Theory, p. 694. McGraw-Hill, New York (1980) Google Scholar
- 8.Fukugita, M., Yanagida, T.: Physics of Neutrinos and Applications to Astrophysics, pp. 289–319. Springer, Berlin (2003) Google Scholar
- 9.Bogoliubov, N.N., Shirkov, D.V.: Introduction to the Theory of Quantized Fields, 3rd edn. pp. 10–89. Wiley, New York (1980) Google Scholar
- 17.Gantmacher, F.: Lectures in Analytical Mechanics, pp. 71–80. Mir Publishers, Moscow (1975) Google Scholar
- 19.Berestetskiĭ, V.B., Lifshitz, E.M., Pitaevskiĭ, L.P.: Quantum Electrodynamics, 2nd edn. p. 86. Pergamon, Oxford (1980) Google Scholar
- 23.Landau, L.D., Lifshitz, E.M.: The Classical Theory of Fields, 4th edn. pp. 140–143. Butterworth-Heinemann, Amsterdam (1994) Google Scholar
- 26.Joos, E., Zeh, H.D., Kiefer, C., Giulini, D.J.W., Kupsch, J., Stamatescu, I.-O.: Decoherence and the Appearance of a Classical World in Quantum Theory, 2nd edn. Springer, Berlin (2003) Google Scholar