Integer-Digit Functions: An Example of Math-Art Integration
- 500 Downloads
The author thanks artist Puri Pereira for useful discussions. He also thanks the Royal Society of London for a Wolfson Research Merit Award. Finally he thanks Gizem Karaali for her editorial assistance.
- 1.A. Åström, and C. Åström, Circular knotworks consisting of pattern no. 295: a mathematical approach, Journal of Mathematics and the Arts 5 (2011), 185–197.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Briggs, Fractals: The patterns of chaos: a new aesthetic of art, science, and nature, Simon and Schuster (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Estrada, and L. A. Pogliani, A new integer sequence based on the sum of digits of integers. Kragujevac Journal of Sciences 30 (2008), 45–50.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Gamwell, Mathematics and Art: A Cultural History, Princeton University Press (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.G. Kaplan, The Catenary: Art, Architecture, History, and Mathematics, Bridges Leeuwarden: Mathematics, Music, Art, Architecture, Culture. Tarquin Publications (2008).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Koudela, Curves in the history of mathematics: the late renaissance, WDS’05 Proceedings of Contributed Papers, Part I (2005), pp. 198–202.Google Scholar
- 16.N. J. A. Sloane and S. Plouffe, The Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences, Academic Press. Web, edition at https://oeis.org.
- 17.N. J. A. Sloane, My Favorite Integer Sequences, in C. Ding, T. Helleseth, and H. Niederreiter, eds. Sequences and their Applications (Proceedings of SETA ’98), Springer-Verlag, pp. 103–130, 1999.Google Scholar
- 18.The Bridges Organization, Bridges, website, http://www.bridgesmathart.org/.
- 20.R. C. Yates, A Handbook of Curves and their Properties, Literary Licensing, LLC (2012).Google Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.