Distributed learning metadata standards
- 61 Downloads
SIGNIFICANT ECONOMIES can be achieved in distributed learning systems architected with a focus on interoperability and reuse. The key building blocks of an efficient distributed learning architecture are the use of standards and XML technologies. The goal of plug and play capability among various components of a distributed learning system requires the specification of standards for each component. Here we examine one component in distributed learning system architecture, namely, the metadata for the learning object. Metadata enables the cataloging and discovery of educational materials. Two metadata standards are LOM (Learning Object Metadata) and Dublin Core Metadata Element Set. LOM was released as IEEE 14.12.1 in June 2002. Dublin Core was ratified by the International Standards Organization (ISO) in January 2003 as ISO 15836. Interoperability of components across platforms, languages, and systems utilizes XML technologies to implement the distributed learning standards. We include an explanation of the fundamentals of XML and explore the role of XML technologies in distributed learning.
KeywordsLOM metadata learning object Dublin Core XML standard
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DCMI (2003).Dublin Core metadata element set standard has been approved. Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://dublincore.org/news/index.shtml#elementset20030408Google Scholar
- Dekkers, M., & Weibel, S. (2003). State of the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative.D-Lib Magazine, 9(4). Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april03/ weibel/04weibel.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Farance, F. (2003). IEEE LOM standard not yet ready for “prime time.”Learning Technology, 5(1). Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://lttf.ieee.org/learn_tech/issues/ January2003/#8Google Scholar
- Hodge, G. (2002).Metadata made simpler. Bethesda, MD: NISO Press. Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://www.niso.org/news/Metadata_simpler.pdfGoogle Scholar
- IEEE (2002).IEEE approves first learning object standards by an accredited standards body. Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/ 1484121app.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Liu, X., Maly, K., Zubair, M., Hong, Q., Nelson, M., Knudson, F., & Holtkamp, I. (2002). Federated searching interface techniques for heterogeneous OAI repositories.Journal of Digital Information, 2(4). Retrieved June 12, 2003 from http:// jodi.ecs.soton.ac.uk/Articles/v02/i04/Liu/Google Scholar
- Open Archives Initiative (2002).The open archives initiative protocol for metadata harvesting. Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/ openarchivesprotocol.htmGoogle Scholar
- Powell, A., & Johnson, P. (2002).Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core in XML. Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http:/dublincore.org/documents/dc-xml-guidelines/Google Scholar
- The Masie Center (2002).Making sense of learning specifications & standards: A decision maker’s guide to their adoption. Retrieved May 14, 2003, from http://www.masie.com/standards/S3_Guide.pdfGoogle Scholar