Pattern of urinary iodine excretion in children
- 17 Downloads
Urinary iodine was estimated chemically by the kinetic method, after mineralisation of the organic iodide by alkaline ashing. The experimental conditions were optimised. The methodological modifications of an existing technique are highlighted. Urinary iodine levels were determined in 349 school children of Bombay, of whom 163 had Grade IA/IB/II goitre and the remaining 186 did not have goitre. Urinary iodine concentration (Mean±SEM) of the control (n=186) and the goitre (n=163) groups were 76.47±4.97 and 71.09±6.23 μg/g creatinine respectively. The difference in the means was statistically not significant. Urinary iodine exhibited a log-normal distribution. It is concluded that the presence of goitre in the clinically euthyroid group of children was not caused by iodine deficiency.
Key wordsUrinary iodine Sandell-Kolthoff reaction goitre iodine deficiency disorder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gopalan, C. Nutrition problems and programmes in South East Asia. WHO (Regional Office for South East Asia) New Delhi 1987, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- 2.Jianquin, L. and Xin, W. Strategy for control of IDD in China. IDD Newsletter 3: 14–15, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.Bourdoux, P.P., Measurement of iodine in the assessment of iodine deficiency. IDD Newsletter 4: 18–12, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Karmarkar, M.G., Pandav, C.S. and Krishnamachari, K.A.V.R. Iodine estimation in urine. Principle and Procedure for Iodine Estimation: A laboratory Mannual. Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, 1986, pp. 10–14.Google Scholar
- 5.Follis, R.H. Jr. Patterns of urinary iodine excretion in goitrous and non-goitrous areas. Am. J. Clin. Nutrition 14: 253–268, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.Follis, R.H. Jr. Recent studies of iodine malnutrition and endemic goitre. Med. Clin. N. America 48: 1219–1239, 1964.Google Scholar
- 7.Jolin, T. and Escobar Del Ray, F. Evaluation of iodine/creatinine ratio of casual samples on indices of daily urinary output during field studies. J. Clin. Endo. Metabol. 25: 540–542, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.WHO, Regional Health Paper No. 10. IDD in South Asia, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.Jaffe, M. Uber den Niederschlag, welchen Pikrinsaure in normalen Hara erzeugt and uber eine neue Reaktion des Kreatinies. Hoppe Seylers Z. Physiol. Chem. 10: 391–400, 1896.Google Scholar
- 12.Foss, O.P., Hankes, L.V. and van Slyke, D.D. Determination of protein-bound iodine. Practical Clinical Biochemistry. eds. H. Varley, A.H. Gowenlock and M. Bell. William Heinemann Medical Books Ltd, London 1976, pp. 5–7.Google Scholar
- 16.Benotti, J. and Benotti, N. Protein-bound iodine, total iodine and butanol extractable iodine by partial automation. Clin. Chem. 9: 408–416. 1963.Google Scholar