The effect of grain size and plastic strain on slip length in 70-30 brass
Polycrystalline 70−30 brass of varying grain size has been studied. Measurements were made of slip line lengths on the polished surface of specimens which had undergone different plastic strains. A relation between the slip line length and the grain size and plastic strain was found based on experimental data using a multiple regression technique. Qualitative agreement was found between the observed slip lengths and slip lengths calculated from a published work-hardening model. The effect of the boundary on slip behavior was observed, and both passive and active types of obstruction to slip by boundaries are suggested.
KeywordsMetallurgical Transaction Plastic Strain Boundary Region Slip Line Slip Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Work Hardening in Tension and Fatigue, A. W. Thompson, ed., TMS-AIME, New York, NY, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.N. Hansen:Yield, Flow and Fracture of Polycrystals, T. N. Baker, ed., Applied Science Publishers, London, 1983, pp. 311–50.Google Scholar
- 7.M. F. Ashby:Strengthening Methods in Crystals, A. Kelly and R. B. Nicholson, eds., Wiley, New York, NY, 1971, pp. 137–92.Google Scholar
- 8.A. W. Thompson:Work Hardening in Tension and Fatigue, TMS-AIME, New York, NY, 1977, pp. 89–126.Google Scholar
- 10.A. W. Thompson:Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Strength Metals and Alloys, ENSMIM, Naney, 1975, vol. 1, pp. 405–10.Google Scholar
- 11.W. McG. Tegart:The Electrolytic and Chemical Polishing of Metals, Pergamon, New York, NY, 1959, pp. 107–08.Google Scholar
- 12.J. E. Hilliard:Metal Progress, 1964 (May), vol. 85, p. 102.Google Scholar
- 17.G. Zankl:Z. Naturforschung, 1963, vol. 18a, pp. 795–809.Google Scholar
- 19.D. Kuhlmann-Wilsdorf:Metall. Trans., 1970, vol. 1, pp. 3173–79.Google Scholar
- 20.A. W. Thompson:Metall. Trans. A, 1977, vol. 8A, pp. 833–42.Google Scholar
- 24.H. Margolin and A. W. Thompson:Deformation of Polycrystals: Mechanisms and Microstructure, N. Hansen, A. Horsewell, T. Leffers, and H. Lilholt, eds., Risø Natl. Lab., Roskilde, DK, 1981, pp. 197–203.Google Scholar
- 25.T. Leffers:A Kinematical Model for the Plastic Deformation of Facecentered Cubic Polycrystals, Risø Report 302, Danish Atomic Energy Commission, Research Establishment Risø, Roskilde, DK, Jan. 1975.Google Scholar