The role of spectrophotometry in the diagnosis of melanoma
Spectrophotometry (SPT) could represent a promising technique for the diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma (CM) at earlier stages of the disease. Starting from our experience, we further assessed the role of SPT in CM early detection.
During a health campaign for malignant melanoma at National Cancer Institute of Naples, we identified a subset of 54 lesions to be addressed to surgical excision and histological examination. Before surgery, all patients were investigated by clinical and epiluminescence microscopy (ELM) screenings; selected lesions underwent spectrophotometer analysis. For SPT, we used a video spectrophotometer imaging system (Spectroshade® MHT S.p.A., Verona, Italy).
Among the 54 patients harbouring cutaneous pigmented lesions, we performed comparison between results from the SPT screening and the histological diagnoses as well as evaluation of both sensitivity and specificity in detecting CM using either SPT or conventional approaches. For all pigmented lesions, agreement between histology and SPT classification was 57.4%. The sensitivity and specificity of SPT in detecting melanoma were 66.6% and 76.2%, respectively.
Although SPT is still considered as a valuable diagnostic tool for CM, its low accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity represent the main hamper for the introduction of such a methodology in clinical practice. Dermoscopy remains the best diagnostic tool for the preoperative diagnosis of pigmented skin lesions.
- Kim-Schulze S, Taback B, Kaufman HL: Cytokine therapy for cancer. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 2007, 16: 793–818. CrossRef
- de Vries E, Coebergh JW: Cutaneous malignant melanoma in Europe. Eur J Cancer 2004, 40: 2355–66. CrossRef
- Ferlay J, Bray F, Pisani P, Parkin DM: GLOBOCAN 2002: Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide. In IARC CancerBase No. 5. IARCPress, Lyon; 2004. version 2.0
- National Cancer Institute Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Fact sheet [http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/melan.html]
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P: Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005, 55: 74–108. CrossRef
- Eggermont AM, Kirkwood JM: Re-evaluating the role of dacarbazine in metastatic melanoma: what have we learned in 30 years? Eur J Cancer 2004, 40: 1825–36. CrossRef
- Balch CM, Gershenwald JE, Soong SJ, Thompson JF, Atkins MB, Byrd DR, Buzaid AC, Cochran AJ, Coit DG, Ding S, Eggermont AM, Flaherty KT, Gimotty PA, Kirkwood JM, McMasters KM, Mihm MC Jr, Morton DL, Ross MI, Sober AJ, Sondak VK: Final version of 2009 AJCC melanoma staging and classification. J Clin Oncol 2009, 27: 6199–206. CrossRef
- Carli P, De Giorgi V, Soyer HP, Stante M, Mannone F, Giannotti B: Dermatoscopy in the diagnosis of pigmented skin lesions: a new semiology for the dermatologist. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2000, 14: 353–69. CrossRef
- Marghoob AA, Swindle LD, Moricz CZ, Sanchez N, Slue S, Halpern A, Kopf A: Instruments and new technologies for the in vivo diagnosis of melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003, 49: 777–97. CrossRef
- Steiner A, Pehamberger H, Wolff K: In vivo epiluminescence microscopy of pigmented skin lesions. II. Diagnosis of small pigmented skin lesions and early detection of malignant melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987, 17: 584–9 1. CrossRef
- Cascinelli N, Ferrario M, Bufalino R, Zurrida S, Galimberti V, Mascheroni L, Bartoli C, Clemente C: Results obtained by using a computerized image analysis system designed as an aid to diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma. Melanoma Res 1992, 2: 163–70. CrossRef
- Nachbar F, Stolz W, Merkle T, Cognetta AB, Vogt T, Landthaler M, Bilek P, Braun-Falco O, Plewig G: The ABCD rule of dermatoscopy. High prospective value in the diagnosis of doubtful melanocytic skin lesions. J Am Acad Dermatol 1994, 30 (55) : 1–9.
- Cristofolini M, Zumiani G, Bauer P, Cristofolini P, Boi S, Micciolo R: Dermatoscopy: usefulness in the differential diagnosis of cutaneous pigmentary lesions. Melanoma Res 1994, 4: 391–4. CrossRef
- Binder M, Steiner A, Schwarz M, Knollmayer S, Wolff K, Pehamberger H: Application of an artificial neural network in epiluminescence microscopy pattern analysis of pigmented skin lesions: a pilot study. Br J Dermatol 1994, 130: 460–5. CrossRef
- Binder M, Schwarz M, Winkler A, Steiner A, Kaider A, Wolff K, Pehamberger H: Epiluminescence microscopy. A useful tool for the diagnosis of pigmented skin lesions for formally trained dermatologists. Arch Dermatol 1995, 131: 286–9 1. CrossRef
- Soyer HP, Smolle J, Leitinger G, Rieger E, Kerl H: Diagnostic reliability of dermoscopic criteria for detecting malignant melanoma. Dermatology 1995, 190: 25–30. CrossRef
- Argenziano G, Fabbrocini G, Carli P, De Giorgi V, Sammarco E, Delfino M: Epiluminescence microscopy for the diagnosis of doubtful melanocytic skin lesions. Comparison of the ABCD rule of dermatoscopy and a new 7-point checklist based on pattern analysis. Arch Dermatol 1998, 134: 1563–70. CrossRef
- Ascierto PA, Satriano RA, Palmieri G, Parasole R, Bosco L, Castello G: Epiluminescence microscopy as useful approach in the early diagnosis of cutaneous malignant melanoma. Melanoma Res 1998, 8: 529–37. CrossRef
- Binder M, Kittler H, Seeber A, Steiner A, Pehamberger H, Wolff K: Epiluminescence microscopybased classification of pigmented skin lesions using computerized image analysis and an artificial neural network. Melanoma Res 1998, 8: 261–6. CrossRef
- Seidenari S, Pellacani G, Pepe P: Digital videomicroscopy improves diagnostic accuracy for melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol 1998, 39: 175–81. CrossRef
- Kittler H, Seltenheim M, Dawid M, Pehamberger H, Wolff K, Binder M: Morphologic changes of pigmented skin lesions: a useful extension of the ABCD rule for dermatoscopy. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999, 40: 558–62. CrossRef
- Dal Pozzo V, Benelli C, Roscetti E: The seven features for melanoma: a new dermoscopic algorithm for the diagnosis of malignant melanoma. Eur J Dermatol 1999, 9: 303–8.
- Benelli C, Roscetti E, Pozzo VD, Gasparini G, Cavicchini S: The dermoscopic versus the clinical diagnosis of melanoma. Eur J Dermatol 1999, 9: 470–6.
- Lorentzen H, Weismann K, Petersen CS, Larsen FG, Secher L, Skødt V: Clinical and dermatoscopic diagnosis of malignant melanoma. Assessed by expert and non-expert groups. Acta Derm Venereol (Stockh) 1999, 79: 301–4. CrossRef
- Bauer P, Cristofolini P, Boi S, Burroni M, Dell'Eva G, Micciolo R, Cristofolini M: Digital epiluminescence microscopy: usefulness in the differential diagnosis of cutaneous pigmentary lesions. A statistical comparison between visual and computer inspection. Melanoma Res 2000, 10: 345–9. CrossRef
- Ascierto PA, Palmieri G, Celentano E, Parasole R, Caracò C, Daponte A, Chiofalo MG, Melucci MT, Mozzillo N, Satriano RA, Castello G: Sensitivity and specificity of epiluminescence microscopy: evaluation on a sample of 2731 excised cutaneous pigmented lesions. The Melanoma Cooperative Study. Br J Dermatol 2000, 142: 893–8. CrossRef
- Piccolo D, Ferrari A, Peris K, Diadone R, Ruggeri B, Chimenti S: Dermoscopic diagnosis by a trained clinician vs. a clinician with minimal dermoscopy training vs. computer-aided diagnosis of 341 pigmented skin lesions: a comparative study. Br J Dermatol 2002, 147 (48) : 1–6.
- Carli P, De Giorgi V, Argenziano G, Palli D, Giannotti B: Pre-operative diagnosis of pigmented skin lesions: in vivo dermoscopy performs better than dermoscopy on photographic images. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2002, 16: 339–46. CrossRef
- Rubegni P, Burroni M, Cevenini G, Perotti R, Dell'Eva G, Barbini P, Fimiani M, Andreassi L: Digital dermoscopy analysis and artificial neural network for the differentiation of clinically atypical pigmented skin lesions: a retrospective study. J Invest Dermatol 2002, 119: 471–4. CrossRef
- Blum A, Rassner G, Garbe C: Modified ABC-point list of dermoscopy: a simplified and highly accurate dermoscopic algorithm for the diagnosis of cutaneous melanocytic lesions. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003, 48: 672–8. CrossRef
- Soyer HP, Argenziano G, Zalaudek I, Corona R, Sera F, Talamini R, Barbato F, Baroni A, Cicale L, Di Stefani A, Farro P, Rossiello L, Ruocco E, Chimenti S: Three-point checklist of dermoscopy. A new screening method for early detection of melanoma. Dermatology 2004, 208: 27–31. CrossRef
- Barzegari M, Ghaninezhad H, Mansoori P, Taheri A, Naraghi ZS, Asgari M: Computeraided dermoscopy for diagnosis of melanoma. BMC Dermatol 2005, 5: 8. CrossRef
- Menzies SW, Bischof L, Talbot H, Gutenev A, Avramidis M, Wong L, Lo SK, Mackellar G, Skladnev V, McCarthy W, Kelly J, Cranney B, Lye P, Rabinovitz H, Oliviero M, Blum A, Varol A, De'Ambrosis B, McCleod R, Koga H, Grin C, Braun R, Johr R: The performance of SolarScan: an automated dermoscopy image analysis instrument for the diagnosis of primary melanoma. Arch Dermatol 2005, 141: 1388–96. [Erratum in Arch Dermatol 2006; 142 :558] CrossRef
- Carli P, Mannone F, De Giorgi V, Nardini P, Chiarugi A, Giannotti B: The problem of false-positive diagnosis in melanoma screening: the impact of dermoscopy. Melanoma Res 2003, 13: 179–182. CrossRef
- Kittler H, Pehamberger H, Wolff K, Binder M: Diagnostic accuracy of dermoscopy. Lancet Oncol 2002, 3: 159–65. CrossRef
- Vestergaard ME, Macaskill P, Holt PE, Menzies SW: Dermoscopy compared with naked eye examination for the diagnosis of primary melanoma: a meta-analysis of studies performed in a clinical setting. Br J Dermatol 2008, 159: 669–76.
- Rajpara SM, Botello AP, Townend J, Ormerod AD: Systematic review of dermoscopy and digital dermoscopy/artificial intelligence for the diagnosis of melanoma. Br J Dermatol 2009, 161: 591–604. CrossRef
- Moncrieff M, Cotton SD, Claridge E, Hall PN: Spectrophotometric intracutaneous analysis - a new technique for imaging pigmented skin lesions. Br J Dermatol 2002, 146: 448–57. CrossRef
- Cotton SD, Claridge E: Developing a predictive model of human skin colouring. Proc SPIE 1996, 2708: 814–25. CrossRef
- Cotton SD, Claridge E, Hall PN: Non-invasive skin imaging. In Proceedings of Information Processing in Medical Imaging. Edited by: Duncan J, Gindi G. London: SpringerVerlag; 1997:501–6.
- Marshall RJ: Infrared and ultraviolet photography in a study of the selective absorption of radiation by pigmented lesions of skin. Med Biol Illus 1976, 26: 71–84.
- Ascierto PA, Palmieri G, Botti G, Satriano RA, Stanganelli I, Bono R, Testori A, Bosco L, Daponte A, Caraco C, Chiofalo MG, Melucci MT, Calignano R, Tatangelo F, Cochran AJ, Castello G, Melanoma Cooperative Group: Early diagnosis of malignant melanoma: Proposal of a working formulation for the management of cutaneous pigmented lesions from the Melanoma Cooperative Group. Int J Oncol 2003, 22: 1209–15.
- Marchesini R, Bono A, Tomatis S, Bartoli C, Colombo A, Lualdi M, Carrara M: In vivo evaluation of melanoma thickness by multispectral imaging and an artificial neural network. A retrospective study on 250 cases of cutaneous melanoma. Tumori 2007, 93: 170–7.
- Tomatis S, Bartoli C, Bono A, Cascinelli N, Clemente C, Marchesini R: Spectrophotometric imaging of cutaneous pigmented lesions: discriminant analysis, optical properties and histological characteristics. J Photochem Photobiol B 1998, 42: 32–9. CrossRef
- Farina B, Bartoli C, Bono A, Colombo A, Lualdi M, Tragni G: Marchesini. Multispectral imaging approach in the diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma: potentiality and limits. Phys Med Biol 2000, 45: 1243–54. CrossRef
- Wallace VP, Bamber JC, Crawford DC, Ott RJ, Mortimer PS: Classification of reflectance spectra from pigmented skin lesions, a comparison of multivariate discriminant analysis and artificial neural networks. Phys Med Biol 2000, 45: 2859–71. CrossRef
- Elbaum M, Kopf AW, Rabinovitz HS, Langley RG, Kamino H, Mihm MC Jr, Sober AJ, Peck GL, Bogdan A, Gutkowicz-Krusin D, Greenebaum M, Keem S, Oliviero M, Wang S: Automatic differentiation of melanoma from melanocytic nevi with multispectral digital dermoscopy: a feasibility study. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001, 44: 207–18. CrossRef
- Haniffa MA, Lloyd JJ, Lawrence CM: The use of a spectrophotometric intracutaneous analysis device in the real-time diagnosis of melanoma in the setting of a melanoma screening clinic. Br J Dermatol 2007, 156: 1350–2. CrossRef
- Govindan K, Smith J, Knowles L, Harvey A, Townsend P, Kenealy J: Assessment of nurseled screening of pigmented lesions using SIAscope. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2007, 60: 639–45. CrossRef
- Glud M, Gniadecki R, Drzewiecki KT: Spectrophotometric intracutaneous analysis versus dermoscopy for the diagnosis of pigmented skin lesions: prospective, double-blind study in a secondary reference centre. Melanoma Res 2009, 19: 176–9. CrossRef
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-5945/10/5/prepub
- The role of spectrophotometry in the diagnosis of melanoma
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- August 2010
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Cancer Institute, Naples, Italy
- 2. Unit of Dermatology, Second University of Naples, Italy
- 3. Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry-CNR, Sassari, Italy