European Cohesion Policy
One of the main objectives of the EU is cohesion, namely a decrease in the disparity of wealth between its constituent parts. A considerable part of the EU budget is earmarked for this policy. The policy should also support the EU 2020 strategy, which focuses on smart, inclusive and sustainable growth. Over the past decades the EU has been able to realize to some extent its ambitions. Effectiveness can be further stepped up by making improvements in the delivery system.
KeywordsConvergence Competitiveness Coordination Disparity Effectiveness of intervention Regulation Principles Structural Funds
JEL ClassificationsR1 R53 R58
- Barca, F. 2009. An agenda for a reformed cohesion policy: A place based approach to meeting European Union challenges and expectations. Brussels (available from the Commission website; DG Regio).Google Scholar
- Boldrin, M., and F. Canova. 2003. Regional policies and EU enlargement. CEPR discussion paper series, no. 3744.Google Scholar
- Duehr, S., C. Colomb, and V. Nadin. 2010. European spatial planning and territorial cooperation. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- EC. 2010a. Europe 2020: A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. COM 2020, 3 March.Google Scholar
- EC. 2010b. Regional policy, an integrated approach. Panorama Inforegio, 34.Google Scholar
- EC. 2010c. Investing in Europe’s future: Fifth report on economic, social and territorial cohesion. Brussels: EC.Google Scholar
- EC. 2010d. Conclusions of the fifth report on economic, social and territorial cohesion: The future of cohesion policy, (SEC 2010) 1348 final. Brussels: EC.Google Scholar
- ECORYS/CPB/Ifo. 2008. A study on EU spending, Final report. Rotterdam (available from the website of the EU Commission).Google Scholar
- Ederveen, S., J. Gorter, R. de Mooy, and R. Nahuis. 2003. Funds and games; the economics of European cohesion policy. ENEPRI Occasional paper no. 3. .http://www.enepri.org/.
- ENEA. 2006. The contribution of structural and cohesion funds to a better environment (available via the EC website).Google Scholar
- Gualini, E. 2004. Multi-level governance and institutional change: The Europeanization of regional policy in Italy. Aldershot: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Meijers, E., and D. Staed. 2004. Policy integration; what does it mean and how can it be achieved?; A multidisciplinary review. Berlin Conference on the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change, Greening of Policies, Interlinkages and Policy Integration. http://www.un.org/esa/desa/papers/2009/wp73_2009.pdf.
- Molle, W. 2007. European cohesion policy. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Molle, W. 2011. Europe Post 2013? Limit Ambitions; Step up Capacity! (paper for the April 2011 Bled conference of the Regional Studies Association, available from their website).Google Scholar
- Tarschys, D. 2003. Reinventing cohesion: The future of European Structural Policy, Report no 1. Stockholm: Sieps.Google Scholar