Risk adjustment is used in settings with uncertainty to make payments or allow comparisons of outcomes while controlling for exogenous risk factors that explain variations in the outcome of interest, such as spending, utilisation, quality or death. This article focuses on the conceptual and empirical uses of risk adjustment in health economics, where patient-level risk factors are commonly used to explain spending and other outcomes.
KeywordsAdverse selection Biased selection Health economics Health insurance Health outcomes Life insurance Life tables
- American Academy of Actuaries. 2010. Issue brief: Risk assessment and risk adjustment. May 2010. http://www.actuary.org/pdf/health/Risk_Adjustment_Issue_Brief_Final_5-26-10.pdf. Accessed 7 Feb 2012.
- Ash, A.S., F. Porell, L. Gruenberg, et al. 1989. Adjusting medicare capitation payments using prior hospitalization data. Health Care Financing Review 10(4): 17–29.Google Scholar
- Ash, A.S., R.P. Ellis, G.C. Pope, J.Z. Ayanian, D.W. Bates, H. Burstin, L.I. Iezzoni, E. McKay, and W. Yu. 2000. Using diagnoses to describe populations and predict costs. Health Care Financing Review 21(3): 7–28.Google Scholar
- Averill, R.F., N.I. Goldfield, J. Eisenhandler, J.S. Hughes, B.V. Shafir, and D.E. Gannon, et al. 1999. Development and evaluation of clinical risk groups (CRGs), 3M health information systems. Wallingford.Google Scholar
- Berlinguet, M., C. Preyra, and S. Dean. 2005. Comparing the value of three main diagnosis based risk adjustment systems (DBRAS), Canadian Health Services Research Foundation (CHSRF) report.Google Scholar
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). 2006. Announcement of calendar year (CY) 2007 medicare advantage capitation rates and medicare advantage and part D payment policies. http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicareAdvtgSpecRateStats/Downloads/Announcement2007.pdf. Accessed 23 Aug 2006.
- Dixon, P., M. Dushieko, H. Gravelle, S. Martin, and N. Rice, et al. 2011. Developing a person-based resource allocation formula for allocations to general practices in England. Nuffield Trust. http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/sites/files/nuffield/document/Developing_a_person-based_resource_allocation_formula_REPORT.pdf. Accessed 15 July 2011.
- Duan, N., W. Manning, C.N. Morris, et al. 1983. A comparison of alternative models for the demand for medical care. Journal of Business & Economic Statistics 1: 115–126.Google Scholar
- Duncan, I. 2011. Healthcare risk adjustment and predictive modeling. Winsted: Actex Publications.Google Scholar
- Eggleston, K.N., R.P. Ellis, and M. Lu. (forthcoming). Risk adjustment and prevention. Canadian Journal of Economics.Google Scholar
- Eichner, M.J. 1998. The demand for medical care: What people pay does matter. The American Economic Review. Papers and Proceedings 88(2): 117–21.Google Scholar
- Ellis, R.P. 2008. Risk adjustment in health care markets: Concepts and applications. In Paying for health care: New ideas for a changing society, ed. M. Lu and E. Jonnson. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH.Google Scholar
- Ellis, R.P., G.C. Pope, L.I. Iezzoni, J.Z. Ayanian, D.W. Bates, H. Burstin, and A.S. Ash. 1996. Diagnosis-based risk adjustment for medicare capitation payments. Health Care Financing Review 12: 101–128.Google Scholar
- Fetter, R.B., Y. Shin, J.L. Freeman, R.F. Averill, and J.D. Thompson. 1980. Case mix definition by diagnosis-related groups. Medical Care 18(2), Supplement: Case mix definition by diagnosis-related groups. pp. i + iii + v + ix + 1–53. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3764138
- Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. 2009. Risk adjustment model comparison. http://ahca.myflorida.com/Medicaid/quality_management/workgroups/managed_care/5_rar_model_comparison_050709.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2011.
- Iezzoni, L.I. (ed.). 2003. Risk adjustment for measuring healthcare outcomes, 3rd ed. Ann Arbor: Health Administration Press.Google Scholar
- Kronick, R., and T. Dreyfus. 1997. The challenge of risk adjustment for people with disabilities: Health-based payment for medicaid programs. Princeton: Center for Health Care Strategies.Google Scholar
- Kronick, R.T., T. Dreyfus, and Z. Zhou. 1996. Diagnostic risk adjustment for Medicaid: The disability payment system. Health Care Financing Review 17: 7–33.Google Scholar
- Newhouse, J.P. 2002. Pricing the priceless: A health care conundrum. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Newhouse, J.P., et al. 1989. Adjusting capitation rates using objective health measures and prior utilization. Health Care Financing Review 10(3): 41–54.Google Scholar
- Pope, G.C., K.W. Adamache, R.K. Khandker, and E.G. Walsh. 1998. Evaluating alternative risk adjusters for medicare. Health Care Financing Review 20: 109–129.Google Scholar
- Pope, G.C., J. Kautter, R.P. Ellis, A.S. Ash, J.Z. Ayanian, L.I. Iezzoni, M.J. Ingber, J.M. Levy, and J. Robst. 2004. Risk adjustment of medicare capitation payments using the CMS-HCC model. Health Care Financing Review 25(4): 119–141.Google Scholar
- Robst, J., J.M. Levy, and M.J. Ingber. 2007. Diagnosis-based risk adjustment for medicare prescription drug plan payments. Health Care Financing Review 28(4): 15–30.Google Scholar
- Symmetry Health Data Systems, Inc. 2001. Episode risk groups: ERG user’s guide. Phoenix: Symmetry Health Data Systems, Inc.Google Scholar
- van de Ven, W.P.M.M., and R.P. Ellis. 2000. Risk adjustment in competitive health plan markets. In Handbook of health Eeonomics, ed. A.J. Culyer and J.P. Newhouse. North-Holland: Amsterdam. Available at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1574006400801730. Accessed 1 Aug 2011.
- van de Ven, W.P.M.M., K. Beck, F. Buchner, D. Chernichovsky, and L. Gardiol, et al. 2003. Risk adjustment and risk selection on the sickness fund insurance market in five European countries. Health Policy 65: 75–98. Available at http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/public.economics/papers/riadinsu.pdf. Accessed 15 July 2011.
- Wasem, J., L.M. Lauterbach, and W.F. Schrader. 2006. Klassifikationsmodelle für Versicherte im morbiditätsorientierten Risikostrukturausgleich. (Classification models for risk adjustment in the morbidity-oriented risk structure reconciliation.) Wissenschaftliches Institut der AOK (WIdO). Available at http://wido.de/fileadmin/wido/downloads/pdf_ggw/wido_ggw_aufs1_0205.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2011.
- Winkelman, R., and S. Mehmud. 2007. A comparative analysis of claims-based tools for health risk assessment. Schaumburg: Society of Actuaries.Google Scholar