This article provides an overview of Google, focusing on its economic history, specifically on three topics of interest: the ad auction, the IPO auction and the role of economics at Google.
KeywordsAd auctions Auctions Google Internet economics Search engines Pagerank
- Auletta, K. 2010. Googled: The end of the world as we know it. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Battelle, J. 2006. The search: How google and its rivals rewrote the rules of business and transformed our culture. New York: Portfolio Trade.Google Scholar
- Lahaie, S., D.M. Pennock, A. Saberi, and R.V. Vohra. 2007. Sponsored search auctions. In Algorithmic game theory, ed. N. Nisan, T. Roughgarden, E. Tardos, and V.V. Vazirani. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Ch. 28.Google Scholar
- Levy, S. 2009. Secret of googlenomics: data-fueled recipe brews profitability. Wired, 17(6). Available at: http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/magazine/17-06/nep_googlenomics?currentPage=all. Accessed 9 Feb 2013.
- Levy, S. 2011. In the plex: How Google thinks, works, and shapes our lives. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- NSF. 2004. On the origins of Google. Available at http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=100660. Accessed 9 Feb 2013.
- Varian, H.R. 2006. Position auctions. International Journal of Industrial Organization 24(7): 1–10. Available at: http://www.ischool.berkeley.edu/research/publications/varian/2007/position. Accessed 9 Feb 2013.Google Scholar
- Varian, H.R. 2009. Online ad auctions. American Economic Review 99(2): 430–434. Available at: http://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/aer.99.2.430. Accessed 9 Feb 2013.
- Varian, H.R. 2012. Economics of internet search. In Handbook on the economics of the internet, ed. J.M. Bauer and M. Latzer. Basingstoke: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar