Knapp, Georg Friedrich (1842–1926)
Knapp was born in Giessen, the son of a professor of technological chemistry who was also temporarily director of the Königliche Porzellanmanufaktur. Justus von Liebig, the famous chemist, was his uncle. Knapp studied in Munich, Berlin and Göttingen, and in 1867 became head of the statistical office of the municipality of Leipzig, in 1869 extraordinary professor of economics in Leipzig and in 1874 professor in Strassburg. He was one of the leading German ‘Kathedersozialisten’ (socialists of the chair), and cofounder of the Verein für Socialpolitik.