Yenisei River Basin and Lake Baikal (Russia)
Rising in northern Mongolia, the Yenisei (sometimes spelled Yenisey) River flows predominantly northwards through Russia into the Kara Sea part of the Arctic Ocean. The largest of the major Siberian rivers, its basin is the fifth largest in the world. A major and important feature of the upper part of the Yenisei River Basin is Lake Baikal, considered the deepest and oldest lake in the world, and a major centre of plant and animal endemism. Although in a remote part of the world, the basin is strongly affected by flow regulation and fragmentation from damming for particularly hydropower for the major industries along its banks exploiting the basin’s rich mineral and forestry resources, and leading to the lower reaches of the river being amongst the most polluted of Arctic rivers.
KeywordsYenisei Lake Baikal Arctic Endemism Dams Pollution
- Bogutskaya N, Hales J. Freshwater Ecoregions of the World (FEOW). 605: Yenesei. 2015a. http://www.feow.org/ecoregions/details/yenisei. Accessed 1 Mar 2016.
- Bogutskaya N, Hales J. Freshwater Ecoregions of the World (FEOW). 606: Lake Baikal. 2015b. http://www.feow.org/ecoregions/details/lake_baikal. Accessed 1 Mar 2016.
- Fefelov I, Tupitsyn I. Waders of the Selenga delta, Lake Baikal, eastern Siberia. Wader Study Group Bull. 2004;104:66–78.Google Scholar
- Olson DM, Dinerstein E, Wikramanayake E, Burgess ND, Powell GVN, Underwood EC, D’Amico JA, Itoua I, Strand HE, Morrison JC, Loucks CJ, Allnutt TF, Ricketts TH, Kura Y, Lamoreux JF, Wettengel WW, Hedao P, Kassem KR. Terrestrial ecoregions of the world: a new map of life on Earth. Bioscience. 2001;51(11):933–8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ramsar Convention. Selenga delta. Information sheet on Ramsar Wetlands. 1994a. https://rsis.ramsar.org/RISapp/files/RISrep/RU682RIS.pdf. Accessed 29 Feb 2016.
- Ramsar Convention. Brekhovsky Islands in the Yenisei estuary. Information sheet on Ramsar Wetlands. 1994b. https://rsis.ramsar.org/RISapp/files/RISrep/RU698RIS.pdf. Accessed 29 Feb 2016.
- Stuefer S, Daqing Y, Shiklomanov A. Effect of streamflow regulation on mean annual discharge variability of the Yenisei River. In: Cold region hydrology in a changing climate. International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS) Publication. 2011;346:27–32.Google Scholar