GlobWetland: ESA Earth Observation Project Series to Support Ramsar Convention
Achieving the objectives of the Ramsar Convention requires access to global, up-to-date, and reliable information to complete national wetland inventories and to undertake adequate assessment and monitoring, and establish appropriate management and restoration plans. The use of satellite Earth Observations (EO) with innovative geo-spatial analyses has become a key tool and source of information for such purposes. Remote sensing observations acquired over short- to long-time frames by airborne and more particularly by spaceborne missions are increasingly used to support the implementation of the convention by supporting the efficient management of wetlands through the provision of local to global, up-to-date information. These data also enhance the reporting mechanisms of the convention by facilitating better decision-making through the generation of common datasets and information systems, as well as the harmonization of formats, methods, and procedures for gathering and analyzing information. A number of projects are aimed at supporting the Ramsar Convention through the characterization, mapping, and monitoring of wetlands at regional to global levels. Among these are the ESA GlobWetlands Project, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency’s (JAXA) Kyoto and Carbon (K&C) Initiative, and the NASAMeasures program.
KeywordsEarth observation Assessment Monitoring Mapping GlobWetlands Kyoto and carbon initiative NASA measures
- EC. CORINE land cover: technical guide. European Commission, Directorate-General Environment, Nuclear Safety and Civil Protection. Office for official publications of the European communities; 1993.Google Scholar
- Fernandez-Prieto D, Arino O, Borges T, Davidson N, Finlayson M, Grassl H, MacKay H, Prigent C, Pritchard D, Zalidis G. The GlobWetland symposium: summary and way forward. Proceedings of GlobWetland Symposium, Looking at Wetlands from Space, Oct 2006. Frascati: European Space Agency; 2006.Google Scholar
- Hoekman D, Quinones M, Vissers M. Mapping of peat swamp forests in Indonesia. In Global Environmental Monitoring by ALOS PALSAR (2010) – science results from the ALOS Kyoto & Carbon Initiative. Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, March 20, 2010. NDX-10000. 2010. p. 70–1.Google Scholar
- Lowry J, Hess L, Rosenqvist A. Mapping and monitoring wetlands around the world using ALOS PALSAR: the ALOS Kyoto and Carbon Initiative wetlands products. Innovations in remote sensing and photogrammetry. Lecture notes in geoinformation and cartography; 2009; p. 105–20.Google Scholar
- Paganini M, Weise K, Fitoka E, Hansen H, Fernandez–Prieto D, Arino O. The DUE Globwetland-2 project. Proceedings of the 2010 Living Planet Symposium, Bergen, Norway; 2010.Google Scholar