Salt production from Secovlje Salina Nature Park, Slovenia
The Secovlje Salina extends over 7 km2. It is located in the north-eastern part of the Adriatic Sea, Slovenia. The area is one of very few salt-pans in the Mediterranean where salt is still produced in accordance with several-centuries-old method. Sustainable production of salt based on evaporation of the sea water and favourable biotic and abiotic factors in Secovlje Salina offers suitable conditions for a very diverse network of habitats and rich flora and fauna. The area is designated as Nature Park, Natura 2000 and Ramsar site. Salina has been assigned the status of extraordinary cultural heritage and landscape.
The Government of the Republic of Slovenia made an agreement for management of the protected area with the private company, which also held the concession for traditional salt-making process. Business model for the company Soline is a combination of commercial activities compatible with the conservation objectives for the area.
Despite the resurrection of the traditional salt-making process with typical wetland products and the increased number of visitors to the park, the number and distribution of selected indicator bird species nesting in the salt-pans has been increasing as a result of the implementation of the protective regime and the concept of conation.
KeywordsSecovlje Salina Nature Park Artisanal salt production Business model Wetland products
- Flores M, Rivero G. Business-oriented financial planning for national systems of protected areas: guidelines and early lessons. Arlington: The Nature Conservancy; 2008.Google Scholar
- Kaligaric M, Tratnik M. Ohranimo Secoveljske soline. Proteus. 1981;44 :122–6.Prirodoslovno drustvo Slovenije, Ljubljana, SloveniaGoogle Scholar
- Kus Veenvliet J, Sovinc A. Ucinkovitost upravljanja zavarovanih obmocij v Sloveniji. Ljubljana: Narocnik: Ministrstvo za okolje in prostor; 2009.Google Scholar
- Sovinc A. Assessment of the use values of the Secovlje Salina Nature Park (Slovenia). Annales Ser.hist. nat. 2012;22(2):189–96Google Scholar
- Skornik I. Favnisticni in ekoloski pregled ptic Secoveljskih solin. Seca: SOLINE Pridelava soli d.o.o.; 2012.Google Scholar
- Uredba. Uredba o Krajinskem parku Sečoveljske soline. Uradni list Republike Slovenije, št. 29/2001. (Decree on the establishment of the Secovlje Salina Nature Park). 2001. http://www.kpss.si/en/the-park/park-tasks/project-work/life-mansalt