Wetland Management for Sustainable Fisheries: Overview
Fisheries support the protein needs and livelihoods of more than a billion people globally, particularly in the developing world, as well as serving often lucrative international markets. Fisheries and aquaculture are also, whether directly or indirectly, a source of livelihood for over 500 million people, mostly in developing countries. Fisheries comprise both capture fisheries and aquaculture, and include a diversity of fin-fish and shellfish species. All are dependent on the vitality of a range of wetland types. Sustainable fishery management is a complex socioeconomic and ecological undertaking, requiring a systemic, participatory, and adaptive approach.
KeywordsSustainable management Participation Maximum sustainable yield Participatory planning Conflicts
- Defra. Sustainable development indicators, July 2013. 2013. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/223992/0_SDIs_final__2_.pdf. Accessed 7 Aug 2014.
- FAO. The state of world fisheries and aquaculture 2000. Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN. 2000. [online] http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X8002E/x8002e00.HTM. Accessed 7 Aug 2014.
- FAO. Fisheries and aquaculture in our changing climate. Policy brief of the FAO for the UNFCCCCOP-15in Copenhagen, December 2009. 2009. [online] ftp://ftp.fao.org/FI/brochure/climate_change/policy_brief.pdf. Accessed 7 Aug 2014.
- Guardian, The. Coral reefs around the world. The Guardian. 2009, Sept 2. [online] http://www.theguardian.com/environment/interactive/2009/sep/02/coral-world-interactive. Accessed 7 Aug 2014.
- Hilborn R. Chapter 15: Are sustainable fisheries achievable? In: Norse , Crowder, editors. 2005. p. 247–59.Google Scholar
- Pauly D. Reconciling fisheries with conservation: the challenge of managing aquatic ecosystems. Fourth World Fisheries Congress, Vancouver. 2004. [online] http://www.seaaroundus.org/DPkeynote.pdf. Accessed 7 Aug 2014.
- Sarwar GM. Impacts of sea level rise on the coastal zone of Bangladesh. Masters thesis, Lund University. 2005. [online] http://www.lumes.lu.se/database/alumni/04.05/theses/golam_sarwar.pdf. Accessed 7 Aug 2014.