National Wetland Policy: Uganda
Uganda’s wetlands are widespread and complex. Wetlands cover an estimated 13% of Uganda’s land surface, constituting the most widespread ecosystem type in the country. Uganda’s wetlands contribute immensely to people’s livelihoods and to the health of the environment, through processes such as water storage and purification, products obtained from ecosystems, benefits from regulation of ecosystem services, nonmaterial benefits obtained from ecosystems, and services necessary for the production of all other ecosystem services.
KeywordsUganda Sustainable management No further drainage National Wetlands Conservation and Management Programme NWP Uganda National Wetlands Policy Ramsar Centre for Eastern Africa
- Bakema RJ, Iyango L. Engaging Local Users in the Management of Wetland Resources: The Case of the National Wetlands Programme, Uganda. Nairobi: IUCN Eastern Africa Programme-Forest/Social Perspectives in Conservation; 1999.Google Scholar
- Emerton L. Valuing wetlands in Uganda. Nairobi: IUCN-The World Conservation Union; 1998.Google Scholar
- Mafabi P, Acere TO. National Wetlands Policy for Uganda. Proceedings of the 18th IUCN General Assembly, Perth. 1991.Google Scholar
- Mafabi, P.G. and Taylor, A.R.D. (1993). The National Wetlands Programme, Uganda. In Davis T.J. (ed.) 1993. Towards the wise use of wetlands. Wise use project, Ramsar Bureau, Gland.Google Scholar
- Mafabi PG. Development of a National Policy for the Conservation and Management of Wetland Resources: the Ugandan Experience. In: Beilfuss RD, Tarboton WR, Gichuki NN, editors. Proceedings 1993 African Crane and Wetland Training Workshop 8–15 August 1993 Wildlife Training Institute Maun, Botswana. Baraboo: International Crane Foundation; 1996. p. 179–81.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Natural Resources. National Policy for the Conservation and Management of Wetland Resources. Kampala: Ministry of Natural Resources; 1995.Google Scholar
- The Parliament of the Republic of Uganda. Constitution of the Republic of Uganda 1995. 1995. [Online] http://www.parliament.go.ug/. Accessed 21 Sept 2014.
- Wetlands Inspection Division, IUCN. From conversion to conservation – fifteen years of managing wetlands for people and the environment in Uganda. Kampala/Nairobi: WID/IUCN Eastern Africa Regional Programme; 2005.Google Scholar
- Wetlands Management Department, Ministry of Water and Environment, Uganda, Uganda Bureau of Statistics, International Livestock Research Institute, World Resources Institute. Mapping a better future: how spatial analysis can benefit wetlands and reduce poverty in Uganda. Washington, DC/Kampala: World Resources Institute; 2009.Google Scholar