Food Governance: Multistakeholder Decision-Making Mechanisms in Food Systems
- 1 Downloads
- Food governance
The process that gathers different stakeholders in the design of public policies and institutional, technical, and financing measures for the functioning of the food system.
- Food system
Encompass the entire range of actors and their interlinked value-adding activities involved in the production, aggregation, processing, distribution, consumption, and disposal of food products that originate from agriculture, forestry or fisheries, and parts of the broader economic, societal and natural environments in which they are embedded.
- Sustainable food system
A food system that delivers food security and nutrition for all in such a way that the economic, social, and environmental bases to generate food security and nutrition for future generations are not compromised.
The global Food System is at a crossroads, being a central issue in the global debate concerning the sustainability of the planet and, ultimately, the very future existence of humanity. A...
- CPLP (2011) Estratégia de Segurança Alimentar e Nutricional ESAN-CPLP. Enquadramento. https://www.cplp.org/Admin/Public/Download.aspx?file=Files%2FFiler%2Fcplp%2FEstrategia%2FI-_Enquadramento_final.pdf
- FAO (2011) Food, agriculture and cities. Challenges of food and nutrition security, agriculture and ecosystem management in an urbanizing world. FAO Food for the Cities Multi-disciplinary Initiative position paper. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- FAO (2012) Towards the future we want End Hunger and make the transition to sustainable agricultural and food systems. http://www.fao.org/3/an894e/an894e00.pdf
- Havinga T, Waarden F, Casey D (2015) The changing landscape of food governance – public and private encounters. Edward Elgar, CheltenhamGoogle Scholar
- Howard P (2016) Concentration and power in the food system: who controls what we eat? Bloomsbury, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Smith P, Bustamante M, Ahammad H, Clark H, Dong H, Elsiddig EA, Haberl H, Harper R, House J, Jafari M, Masera O, Mbow C, Ravindranath NH, Rice CW, Robledo Abad C, Romanovskaya A, Sperling F, Tubiello F (2014) Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU). In: Edenhofer O, Pichs-Madruga R, Sokona Y, Farahani E, Kadner S, Seyboth K, Adler A, Baum I, Brunner S, Eickemeier P, Kriemann B, Savolainen J, Schlömer S, von Stechow C, Zwickel T, Minx JC (eds.) Climate Change 2014: Mitigation of Climate Change. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USAGoogle Scholar
- Lemos C, Agrawal A (2006) Environmental governance. Annu Rev Environ Resour 31:297–325. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.energy.31.042605.135621CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McKinsey Global Institute (2014) Overcoming obesity: an initial economic analysis. https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Business%20Functions/Economic%20Studies%20TEMP/Our%20Insights/How%20the%20world%20could%20better%20fight%20obesity/MGI_Overcoming_obesity_Full_report.ashx
- Renting H, Wiskerke J (2010) New emerging roles for public institutions and civil society in the promotion of sustainable local systems. In: Darnhofer I, Grötzer M (eds) Building sustainable rural futures. The added value of systems approaches in times of change and uncertainty. Universitat fur Bodenkultur, Vienna, pp 1902–1912Google Scholar
- Rossi A, Brunori G (2018) Towards a new food governance: exploring the development of an integrated urban food strategy. FAO Meeting Urban Food Needs (MUFN) Programme. http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/ags/docs/MUFN/CALL_FILES_EXPERT_2015/CFP1-18_Full_Paper.pdf
- UN (2003) The human rights-based approach to development cooperation: towards a common understanding among United Nations agencies. United Nations Sustainable Development Group. https://undg.org/document/the-human-rights-based-approach-to-development-cooperation-towards-a-common-understanding-among-un-agencies/
- UN Environment Programme and One Planet Network Sustainable Food Systems Programme (2019) Collaborative framework for food systems transformation: a multi-stakeholder pathway for sustainable food systems. https://www.oneplanetnetwork.org/resource/collaborative-framework-food-systems-transformation-multi-stakeholder-pathway-sustainable
- World Bank (2015) GINI index (World Bank estimate) [Webpage]. https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.GINI
- UNEP (2016) Food Systems and Natural Resources. http://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/7592/-Food_systems_and_natural_resources-2016Food_Systems_and_Natural_Resources.pdf.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y
- UNDP (2018) Human Development Data Bank. http://hdr.undp.org/en/data