Barriers to Mobile Learning Advancements in the United Kingdom
Since its ambitious, visionary beginning in 2003 in Wolverhampton, mobile learning continues to expand and evolve in the UK. Mobile technologies, as well, continue to expand and evolve with tablets, Chromebooks, and even laptops viewed as “mobile” devices. Drawing on a range of resources (e.g., interviews with 16 influential practitioners), then, this chapter addresses the question: what is the status of mobile learning in the UK some 15 years later? In developing an answer, we explore mobile devices, models of mobile device ownership, and the pedagogical uses of mobile devices for mobile learning.
KeywordsMobile technology Digital strategy BYOD1:1 Cloud storage E-books personalized learning
- Apple. (2016, March). Getting started with classroom: A teacher’s guide to the Classroom app for iPad. https://images.apple.com/education/docs/Classroom_Guide_Education_9.3.pdf.
- Barkham, P., & Moss, S. (2012, 27, November). Should mobile phones be banned schools? Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/nov/27/should-mobiles-be-banned-schools.
- BBC. (2010). Q & A: Academies and free schools. Retrieved 22 July, 2010 from http://www.bbc.com/news/10161371.
- BECTA. (2010). Home access, archived on: 11/2/2010. Retrieved from http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20101102103639/http://www.becta.org.uk/homeaccess.
- BESA Naace Leadership Briefing Paper Jan 2016. (2016, 24, January). Retrieved from https://d2uy60z0ioijc3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/24210714/BESA-Naace-Leadership-Briefing-Paper-Jan-2016-Final.pdf.
- Doward, J. (2015). Schools that ban mobile phones see better academic results. The Guardian. Retrieved May 16 2016 from https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/may/16/schools-mobile-phones-academic-results.
- Forbes, S. (2016, 18, July). BYOD, is it right for your school? Retrieved from http://edtechnology.co.uk/Article/byod-is-it-right-for-your-school.
- Gladwell, M. (2000). The tipping point: How little things can make a big difference. London: Little, Brown and Company.Google Scholar
- Glow Digital Learning for Scotland. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://glowconnect.org.uk/.
- Government to close Becta. (2009, 24, May). Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/may/24/becta-government-closure.
- Hwb Digital Learning for Wales. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.tes.com/member/NGfLCymru.
- Keeler, A. (n.d.). Google classroom. http://www.alicekeeler.com/google-classroom/.
- Kemp, D. (2015). Book creator wins BETT award for best educational app. https://bookcreator.com/2015/01/book-creator-wins-bett-award-best-educational-app/.
- Knapton, S. (2016, 23, August). Banning smartphones from classrooms could damage education, warn researchers. The Telegraph. Available from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/08/23/banning-smartphones-from-classrooms-could-damage-education-warn/.
- Laycock, C. (2017). Microsoft classroom preview has officially been ‘dropped’. Retrieved from https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Classroom/Microsoft-Classroom-Preview-has-officially-been-dropped/td-p/66657.
- Learning Foundation. (2018a). Retrieved from https://learningfoundation.org.uk/.
- Learning Foundation. (2018b). Retrieved from https://learningfoundation.org.uk/about/our-vision-and-beliefs/.
- Learning2Go 2.0 opens doors to iPads and Android. 2012Google Scholar
- Midlothian Council. (2016). Midlothian Council Digital Strategy delivering the future 2016–2021. Retrieved from https://tinyurl.com/yc3g6e5f.
- OECD. (2015). PISA 2015: Results in focus. Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-results-in-focus.pdf.
- Paddick, R. (2016, 18 July). BYOD, is it right for your school? Retrieved from http://edtechnology.co.uk/Article/byod-is-it-right-for-your-school.
- Penuel, W. (2006). Implementation and effects of one-to-one computing initiatives: A research synthesis. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 38(3). Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ728908.pdf.
- SeeSaw. (2018). Retrieved from https://web.seesaw.me.
- Showbie. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.showbie.com/.
- Whyley, D. (2014, 4, May). Mobile learning – Learning2Go. Retrieved from http://www.whytekconsulting.co.uk/Blog/Post/9/Mobile-Learning-Learning2Go.
- Wolverhampton e-Services. (2009, January). Retrieved from http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/PRODImages/PDF/Wolverhampton.pdf.