Adult Foster Homes
- 250 Downloads
Adult foster homes (AFH) are a type of residential long-term care available throughout the United States. An AFH is a private residence where the owner or a paid caregiver lives with a small number of residents, usually fewer than six, who receive personal care, social/recreational activities, and health oversight.
Many of these homes serve older adults with physical disabilities, including those with cognitive impairment. Most states (38) license AFHs (Carder et al. 2015), though the definition, capacity, types of services, and staffing requirements vary. AFHs might be purpose-built, but more often are converted single-family residences (Folkemer et al. 1996; Mollica et al. 2008).
Examples of Application
AFH in Oregon
Some states limit AFH services to meals, social activities, and assistance with basic needs like laundry and housekeeping. Others...
- Carder PC, Morgan LM, Eckert JK (2008) The fragile future of small board-and-care homes. In: Golant S, Hyde J (eds) The assisted living residence: a vision for the future. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, pp 143–166Google Scholar
- Carder PC, O’Keeffe J, O’Keeffe C (2015) Compendium of residential care and assisted living regulations and policy. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation. https://aspe.hhs.gov/basic-report/compendium-residential-care-and-assisted-living-regulations-and-policy-2015-edition. Accessed 1 Oct 2018
- Carder PC, Tunalilar O, Elliott S et al (2018) Oregon resident and community characteristics report – assisted living, residential care, memory care, 2017. Report submitted to Oregon Department of Human Services. https://www.pdx.edu/ioa/sites/www.pdx.edu.ioa/files/Media%20Root/2018_CBC_AL.RC_.MC_REPORT.pdf. Accessed 1 Oct 2018
- Folkemer D, Jensen L, Lipson L et al (1996) Adult foster care for the elderly: a review of state regulatory and funding strategies. AARP Public Policy Institute, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Levy CR, Jones J, Haverhals LM, Nowels CT (2014) A qualitative evaluation of anew community living model: Medical foster home placement. J Nurs Educ Pract 4(1):162–176. https://doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v4n1p162
- Mollica R, Booth M, Gray C et al (2008) Adult foster care: a resource for older adults. Rutgers Center for State Health Policy. http://www.nasuad.org/sites/nasuad/files/hcbs/files/139/6942/AFC_report_for_submission_to_website_6-9-08.doc. Accessed 1 Oct 2018
- Oregon Department of Human Services (2018) Rate schedule. https://www.oregon.gov/DHS/PROVIDERS-PARTNERS/LICENSING/AdminAlerts/Medicaid%20Rate%20Changes%20Effective%20July%201%202018%20SUPPLEMENTAL.pdf. Accessed 1 Oct 2018
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (2018) National Medical Foster Home dashboard data. Unpublished internal documentGoogle Scholar
- Veterans Health Administration Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Operations (2017) VHA Directive 1141.02 Medical Foster home program proceduresGoogle Scholar