Access to Public Transportation for Older Adults
- 303 Downloads
There is no one universally accepted definition for the term “public transportation” in the academic literature. For example, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2017) defines public transportation as a system of transportation which includes a variety of transit options such as buses, light rail, and subways that are available to the general public, may require a fare, and run at scheduled times. On the other hand, Resolution 70/1 of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly (2015) defines public transportation as a shared passenger transport service that is available to the general public. To add to this definitional conundrum, public transportation is also referred to as public transport, mass transit, and public transit.
The UN submits that public transportation includes cars, buses, trolleys, trams, trains, subways, and ferries that are shared by strangers without...
- Beverly Foundation (2008) Giving up the keys (Beverly foundation fact sheet series). The Beverly Foundation Pasadena, CAGoogle Scholar
- Bhat CR, Guo JY, Sen S et al (2005) Measuring access to public transportation services: review of customer-oriented transit performance measures and methods of transit submarket identification. Center for Transportation Research, The University of Texas, AustinGoogle Scholar
- Bhatt A, Menon R, Khan A (2015) Women’s safety in public transport – a pilot initiative in Bhopal. WRI, India. http://www.wrirosscities.org/sites/default/files/Final_Report_30072015.pdf. Accessed 17 Jan 2019
- Kerschner H (2004) Innovations for seniors. Public and community transit services respond to special needs. The Beverly Foundation and the Community Transportation Association of AmericaGoogle Scholar
- National Center on Senior Transportation (2008) Tips and facts. http://seniortransportation.easterseals.com/site/PageServer?pagename=NCST2_transit_seniortips &JServSessionIdr001=ztqmjj9lx1.app20b. Accessed 18 Dec 2018
- Ohnmacht T, Maksim H, Bergman MM (eds) (2009) Mobilities and inequality. Ashgate, AldershotGoogle Scholar
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2017) The University of Wisconsin population health institute. Public transportation: system introduction or expansion. County Health Rankings & Roadmaps Public transportation systems. https://www.cdc.gov/policy/hst/hi5/publictransportation/index.html. Accessed 30 Oct 2018.
- United Nations (2015) Transforming our World: the 2030 agenda for sustainable development. Resolution 70/1 of the General Assembly of the United Nations. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld. Accessed 18 Dec 2018